Sunday, July 2, 2023

WILLIAM MORRIS AND A NEW QUILTER

 I have not managed to get much done this week.  On Wednesday I had my other eye surgery done so that hogs up two days and I find my eyes do get tired faster.  I did end up having to pickup just regular sun glasses from Target and readers 2.5 strength.  Now that is a surprise as my prior near vision glasses were in the high 5 or low 6 range, so the procedure was able to really improve not only the far vision 100% but over 50% on the near vision.  


If one cannot sew then shopping on line seemed like an interesting alternative.  My Favorite Quilt Store comes up on emails regularly and they advertised William Morris fabric fat quarters.  I love William Morris fabric and I just had to order it.  
Now I already have a wonderful appliqué book by Michele Hill which I have made one or two items from over the years, but discovered there was a second one by her, so I ordered it as well.  I have spent some time trying to decide which pattern in the new one to try next.
Well looks like I have plenty to work with as I also have two wire bins pretty full of William Morris and similar fabrics already so I should be able to manage something.  But let's face it more is always better.  
We have three daughters not one of them has shown much if any interesting in sewing and certainly not quilting.  My oldest daughter now in her mid 50's has formed a friendship with her husband's bosses' wife and yes the lady is a quilter.  Just recently daughter called and said she bought a sewing machine and decided she wants to learn to quilt.  So with a bit of help from her friend this is her first project.  Her friend did comment that she certainly is a bit OCD about measuring, cutting and sewing.  I have no idea where she could have possibly got that from when it comes to quilting.  But the blocks are perfectly nested and she is now trying to lay out the blocks in a way that pleases her.  


Linky Parties on the Side Bar


   


  
 

16 comments:

  1. Now you and your daughter have a new interest to share! That could be a lot of fun, happy stitching with your new pattern and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty William Morris fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I can relate! I had mine done and ended up pushing the pause button on sewing. Instead, I crocheted simple projects. Wow! I’m so glad your vision is so much better!
    Pretty fabrics! You’re sure to make something beautiful with them!
    LOL! That’s funny about your daughter! Her project is lovely – yellow goes so well with grey! Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore William Morris fabrics ... they're so rich and beautiful! Have fun searching the books for new projects! Congrats on gaining a quilter in the family! I think I was in my late forties before I took an interest. Not sure if my daughter ever will, but my granddaughters all have! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love William Morris fabrics (and wallpaper!) too. I have a long-hoarded fabric piece I haven't been able to use :) How nice that your daughter is getting interested in quilting. One of my daughters does some embroidery, and both can enjoy crafting, but neither quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy that your eyes surgery is a success, and that while waiting to sew again, the fabric stash has grown nicely ;) It's great to share quilting skills with your daughter.
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that your daughter is now interested in quilting! My adult daughter has recently been interested in making costumes for themed events.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your thought about having more William Morris prints/fabrics is good. . .one can't have enough as far as I'm concerned! Kudos to your daughter's friend to infect her with the quilting pox. May it last her the rest of her life.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE William Morris fabrics, and I see at least a couple I have. I'm tempted to ask where you got them, but no, no don't tell me - lol! Great news about your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those William Morris fabrics are gorgeous! Congrats on adding a quilter to the family. My daughter may quilt one day, she's asking for a sewing machine for Christmas, mostly to find ways to use her embroidery. I think it's a slippery slope to quilting from there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad one of your daughters is taking and interest in quilting. Beautiful job too.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful your daughter is now taking an interest in quilting! IF my daughter did, she would definitely be OCD about it! LOL Your William Morris fabrics are gorgeous. I'm glad your vision is getting better. That is an amazing difference already. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to seeing what you make with the book and fabrics. Better late than never on your daughter's interest in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. pretty fabrics,I don't think I've heard of the William Morris collection

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Donnalee, isn't it interesting that your daughter got into quilting through a friend. I pretty much did the same thing, except that I'm accuracy challenged. I love William Morris fabric and have a stash, but haven’t made much with it...yet.

    ReplyDelete