Sunday, July 9, 2023

PILLOWS, GIFTS, AND SHOPPING

As many of you know I have spent the last 3 weeks having eye surgery with multiple trips to the hospital and doctors visits.  Friday was my last doctor's visit.  Only followup needed at this point is in 8 months.  There was one unexpected bonus for a couple of people in all this besides me with much better vision than I had before all of this.

Both hospital visits included a pillow that was sent home with me.  The nurse said to take it home as otherwise they just throw them away.  OK, what do I do with these?  One of my daughter's has a friend that works with the homeless.  So I made pillowcases for them and they will be passed on to someone in need.
That same daughter has a friend that provides us with all sorts of fruit and vegetables out of her garden.  We have benefited with a freezer full of fruit for winter deserts and lot of really nice vegetables as well throughout the year.  I thought it was time to do something special as a thank you for her.  
It also gave me an opportunity to work on my quilting skills.  My free motion quilting skills are pretty much  non-existent, but I found that using invisible thread to do this meandering really works.  Small stitches and the invisible thread turned out to be a perfect solution. 
That pretty much wrapped up my week.  I am getting some sewing done, but have not been able to spend as much time as I normally did.  My eyes do tire a bit more than they did before, but it is just part of the healing process.  However, that didn't seem to keep me out of the quilt store.
Linky Parties on the Side Bar


  





  


16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your eye surgery ordeal is coming to an end and that you're coming out of it with the improved vision that you were hoping for. I am all in favor of "fabric shopping therapy" to speed your healing. And yes, the monofilament thread is great for FMQ especially as you're learning. I first tried it when I read about it in Diane Gaudynski's machine quilting books years ago. I love how it just blends into everything and lets you focus on the texture you're creating without worrying so much about whether your stitches are all even length!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very generous of you to give to others using your sewing talents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your shopping time, the sewing time will come back soon ;) I'm glad that your eyes surgery was a success, and I hope that you will heal quickly. Lovely vegetables mini!
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy for you....jealous really....so glad to be unattached to all those med appts...soon for me i hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good use of the freebies. Beautiful fabric added, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has to feel good to get all the surgery out of the way and start healing. Hopefully your eyes will get stronger quicker. Love your new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad for you that the surgeries are behind you. It isn't that they are painful, but the stress was there for me just the same. What a great idea on the pillows - I had no idea they throw out them out, I'll ask for mine next time. The mini for your daughter's friend is so pretty, nice quilting! And hey, the beautiful fabric purchase is part of the healing process too - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear your vision is so much improved, Donnalee! How awesome to make the pillow cases and pass these pillow on to the homeless. That's a great use for them. Love the mini for your daughter's friend. What a great way to show your appreciation! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to see you back to sewing! Sounds like your recovery is doing well. Love that pretty little table runner you are making. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/12/wednesday-wait-loss-336

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad your vision is much better and I love what you're doing with the pillows. Brilliant.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your surgery went well and hopefully when you heal up properly it will help a lot! Great idea to make the pillowcases and give them away, and the little table runner is just perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're done with the cataract surgery! It's all pretty simple to get through, but does change up the routine for awhile. That's a fun bonus to take home those pillows - I never would have thought of that. And you have a great use for them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pleased you have had such a great outcome with your eye surgery. Where would we be without reasonable eye sight working on our P&Q passion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad your eye surgeries went well. Isn't it wonderful to have improved vision? Great use for those pillows so they didn't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you healed so well!! and sweet idea to do that with the pillow!!
    Super cute table runner -

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Donnalee, way to go to meander with the invisible thread. That's a great way to increase your skill and confidence! I'm so happy that your eyes are healing so well. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete