I have been collecting Tilda fabrics for several years. I've made several projects with them, which produced a good collection of scraps. Normally I do not save smaller scraps, but send them on to a friend Michelle that uses even 2 inch pieces that I prefer to toss.
This week I decided to see if I could actually do something with this and clear out some of it.
I got on line and TildaWorld.com offers lots and lots of free patterns. After looking at them I discovered this pattern was a perfect solution to using up most of my scraps.
And a big surprise. I was able to get 300 of these 2.5 by 4.5 inch rectangles out of those scraps. Only goes to show that even little scraps can get used in a meaningful way. I've bagged them up into 10 sandwich bags of 30 each. I don't plan to start the Cozy Stripe Quilt yet, but when I do things should go really fast and they should make a really nice quilt somewhere in the 60 by 60 inch size with just a few long strip between rows.
For those fans of my daughter's pets. She earlier this past summer obtained 4 baby peacocks to keep Freddy her adult peacock company. Her hope was for a couple of ladies. Well things didn't work out so well. Only one is a female and the other three are males and already beginning to strut their stuff. Looks like Freddy will have lots of completion this coming summer.
And there she is. The boys all trying to get her attention.
This past week I finally finished my Dandelion Wishes quilt. I started it in April of 2008. Yes, thats a really long time to get a quilt finished.
The quilt and quilting itself didn't take long, it was the eight hand appliquéd flowers, stems, and leaves that took forever. They were all appliquéd on after the quilt was not only quilted but even bound.
I started this quilt and showed it last week, things happened pretty quickly on it.
And the top is finished. It will be going to the charity division of my quilt guild for their call for more masculine quilts. I just need to prep a binding for it. They will provide batting and a back and quilt and bind it.
I also started another guy quilt for the guild. I have been using up some of my bin scrap stash for these quilts. I have piles and piles of beige and cream fabrics so have found a way to deplete some of those piles.
I got a SOS from my guild's charity division this last week and there is an urgent need for more quilts for boys. It seems to be true that so many of our quilts are for girls. So I dug into my scrap bins to see what was available.
I also dug around in the closet for some pattern ideas and came across this book. Oh my, one of the first quilts I ever made was out of this book. Now that was some time back in the early 90's, the book was published in 1988. I wonder what ever happened with that quilt. The one thing I really like about this book is that all the patterns in it use small scraps of fabrics. It is perfect for using up those scrap bin leftovers.
I started with these fabrics. I love that red, however, I made a mistake. The finished 9 patches will be 4.5 inches, so I cut the red blocks 4.5 inches. They need to be 5 inches to finish at 4.5. I used up all that red scrap.
So I substituted with this red. At this point things look pretty good.
Now I am thinking that red is a bit much. I have more of it so maybe I can introduce it into the next row or two or replace it for something not so bright. I guess I will just have to continue on and see how things go. Once I see how things go together, maybe a blue quilt version from that book will be a good idea as well.
I usually each year vow to make a New Year's Resolution to finish UFO's stored away in my sewing studio closet. That usually last only a couple weeks then I just go on my merry way starting and maybe finishing various projects. However, this year I hope to be more successful in actually doing something about the multiple UFO's I have hanging around.
For about the last three years I have invested in a Quilter's Planner. I worked for nearly 40 years as a controller for a large church and preschool through grade 12 school. I kept an extensive planner to keep things moving smoothly. Once I retired I sort of decided that a planner would help me keep a handle on my quilting projects.
I have resolved myself this year to work more in finishing up UFO's and also try not to start too many projects without at least finishing up an equal amount or more. Plus keep track of my charity quilt goals as well.
The first thing this new year I pulled out this project. The blocks are large 20 inches. The pattern had 12 of these blocks, one for each month. I prepared 4 and decided I was done. I did get this first one appliquéd down with a small zigzag stitch.
The last three will need to be appliquéd now.
The plan is to join them with a lattice, borders, and binding of this lime green fabric. Then it will be donated to my charity division of my guild.
For the fans of pictures of my daughter's pets I thought you might enjoy a picture of my youngest grandson Ben and a little bit of duck love. Her name is Peaches.
And for those of you that remember the kitty in the white Christmas tree. No the tree did not survive! After daily plucking that guy out of her tree, and worried he would strangle in the light wires if she was not at home she opted for this as a replacement. He still looks like he is considering climbing up it, but she said he decided it just was not worth bothering with it.