Monday, January 25, 2021


Last year in April I made two table runners with the Crazy Christmas Trees pattern.  This first one was given just last month as a gift and the second one I kept for myself.   

Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication on the January 20th blog showed a scrappy version of this pattern and I thought what fun that would be to make again. I ended up at the last minute making some Christmas gifts this past year.  This pattern is so fun, I decided to get busy early this year. 
60 degree cuts went well with my Creative Grids Spider Web ruler.
Block A looks good, there is a Block B as well.  Basically cut in opposite angles and sizes.  
The pattern calls for 8 blocks, I only made 7 as I only plan on putting 3 trees, not 4 in my runner.  
The three trees are done, but I am very unhappy with the center tree top.  I also took some creative adjustments to the top of the trees on the two outside blocks.  I think I will be making one more tree block and changing out the bottom and the top of the center tree.  Not sure what went wrong, but fixable.  
It seems the peacock teenagers are trying to get flirting advice from Orby the rooster.  My daughter's pea hen Marilyn isn't paying any attention to them, she is not impressed.  Orby has a whole flock of lady hens, that seem to adore him, so maybe he will give them a little advice on how to romance Marilyn.  Doesn't look he is very impressed either.  

Monday, January 18, 2021


 I took some time out this week to pull out a pattern to work on a charity quilt for my guild.  I find them a great project to work on in between more complicated or challenging projects.  Sort of mindless stress free sewing.

I have a rather large stash of Tilda fabrics, some fairly large pieces and lots of small scraps left overs from previous projects.

I cut 5, 2.5 by 4.5 inch strips from multiple prints.  Like lots of them.!  It didn't even make a dent in my Tilda stash.  I found Cozy Stripes a free Tilda World pattern on line.  However, I didn't really follow the pattern very closely, just a general direction of the instructions.

I had a nice white floral print and just started making ten inch rows and sewing them together.

An afternoon here and there and I now I have 4 rows.  The width is 62.5 inches and with an addition 3 more rows the length will be 70 inches. 

My daughter's peacocks,  but not sure why the pool is so interesting.  Maybe interviewing as life guards.  The three teenagers in the middle and the pea hen on the far right, plus Fred the old man on the far left.
Easy to see they are in full courting dress with their beautiful tail feathers.  The little pea hen  doesn't seem to prefers any of them as her companion.  Those flirty boys are a lot of bother.  

Monday, January 11, 2021


 I regularly start things, set them aside, then pick them up again.  Often it can be months later and a few times years later.  Not sure how long ago I started these blocks, but they all got set aside.

This past week I stumbled on them and thought it was time to do something with them.  

I quickly realized I needed some sort of a border to go between the birds.  I wanted black with white dots, plus I preferred a Batik fabric, as the birds were done in Batiks.  So a trip to the quilt store found this.  No not dots, but I did think this was a really nice alternative.  

Oh yes, perfect.  The outside border was a Batik I had in my stash and shared many of the colors of the birds.  Off to the quilter now!

It is Morewood Mystery quilt instructions for January.  I selected this very white background and wonder if it is going to be too much having gotten the first true complete block together.  Too late now, and with two addition colored prints that go into this quilt hopefully that will tone down the bright white. 

Isn't she a beauty!  My daughter's only female peacock, the other 4 are males.  She likes having her photo taken.  Actually what she really was interested in was getting her morning treat.  This is what you get first thing in the morning looking at you through the kitchen window.  


Monday, January 4, 2021


 We are out of 2020 and 2021 is just beginning.  Hopefully this new year will be a nice beginning to a more normal year for all of us.  I have spent some time after a bit of a creative slump in the studio.  I did take a bit of time doing some rearranging of a couple of closet shelves to have fabric at a more visible level and easier to get too.  A bit of clean up was in order as well.  

I managed to get the two lower roses on with their vines and realized I would have to at least pin on the center rose as the vines all tuck into it.  I had the entire center appliqué fused together but not fused down to the background.  

Finally I got the third lower rose added and two of the stems appliquéd down too.  I have a couple of the pedals on the center appliquéd around the vine ends.  I don't like working with so much material and loose appliqués and pins, but slowly it is coming along.  Only 5 more small roses and stems to do.  It is going to be a LONG WEEK!

Nothing like a nice dip in your spa at sunset.  One of my daughter's ducks somehow escaped getting into his coop for the night.  She was back on her way into the house when she saw him enjoying a final dip for the day.  Life is good!