Monday, July 19, 2021
Monday, July 12, 2021
I have spend this last week perfecting my appliqué skills. Things are going well. I have found Floriani Stitch N Wash to be the solution to my woes when it comes to turning the edges under on appliqué pieces.
My first two completed blooms, leaf, and bias vine look great. Vines have never been an issue for me. I use the Clover bias tools for the bias vines. On to the next bloom. I am very pleased with all those nice curved edges. Every once in a while I spy a bit of a not quite rounded area, but I have come to the decision that not everything will be absolutely perfect. Also if one steps back just a foot or two your minor flaws seem to disappear. This one will have to extend out into the border, so this week time to get that border on to work on it. So it is on to adding a border, the last two flowers and adding lots of leaves. I think I might just have managed to get some new skills down with this project.A new surprise addition to the clan! Normally my daughter gathers eggs up daily to avoid any surprise additions to her 20 plus chicken families. However, some how this hen slipped one in this past week. This particular hen has been escaping from the large fenced in pen and hiding eggs under various bushes and trees in the yard. My daughter thought she had found all her hiding places but somehow missed this one, only to discover this little chick strolling out with mother this past week.
Monday, July 5, 2021
I have spent the last couple of weeks working on perfecting my appliqué skills. Most often I do raw edge fusible appliqué by machine. I have done some hand appliqué that requires you to turn under the edges but kept to very simple pieces. I just was not very good at more complicated appliqués with curves and points. Why, was the question. So this past couple of weeks I decided to really work on that and see if I could not manage that skills better.
Monday, June 28, 2021
It is always nice to finally finish something and move on to something new. I have a habit of having several projects all going at once. Variety is the spice of life, at least in the sewing room for me.I finished my Spinning Spools runner. Lots of thread changing to match colors to these strips. It is bright, cheery and fun for a summer table. I still have another 12 block finished without the dot wedges. Not sure what I will do with them yet.
I could not help but laugh when I saw the cartoon on the internet of Pre-Rinse Cycle, here is my little Pre-Rinse Cycle, Zoey our 4 month old Yorkshire Terrier puppy, she helps get the dishes into the dishwasher every evening.
Monday, June 21, 2021
This week I set most other projects aside to turn out a couple of charity quilt tops with some matching prepared bindings for my quilt guild's charity group. Their October Give Away to 5 different agencies takes place then. Last October 2020 we gave out 302 quilts. Covid hit production pretty hard as we could not get together, but many of us did do quilt tops at home and we should have around 200 to give out.
As you can see I still have plenty of fabric still left to do more tops.
This winter we found a Praying Mantis egg case on our BBQ cover. We carefully protected it all winter hoping it would eventually produce some babies. Sure enough this past week while sitting out in the garden I felt this little guy crawling up my arm. I carefully moved it over to one of the garden plants and snapped a picture. It is just around one inch long. Have no idea if it has some brothers and sisters hatched along with it, but hope so.
Monday, June 14, 2021
This past week my daughter called me to meet a friend with her. Her friend Nancy had a number of boxes filled with fabric that she wanted to donate. Her husband's mother had passed away and left boxes and boxes of fabric. We meet on Thursday and spent some time going through box after box of all sorts of fabrics. Most of them were clothing quality fabrics, but I did manage to get several quilt quality pieces. She was happy to know they would become charity quilts.Most of these are 3 and 4 yards pieces. So lots of fabric to work with.I couldn't wait to get in and start something. I added some scrap strips of white fabric in between these simple 4 squares blocks. Just 5 more rows to add and we have a quilt top done. It did not make even a tiny dent in the the fabrics she gave me. This is going to take a while to get this job done. I have managed to get three rows of Confetti blocks put together. So I am half way through. I love it! Our youngest daughter, yes the one with all the ducks, chickens, and peacocks, also has a Secota Tortoise. Morty was just a baby when we snapped this picture, she now weighs easily 70 pounds. Peanut her Jack Russell seems to be having a bit of an issue about whose dinner this is.
Monday, June 7, 2021
This past week I set aside my Confetti and Spinning Spools projects to get more done on my Rose quilt.At last I have all the flowers on and one of the final borders. Lots of leaves to appliqué yet. I do plan to quilt this myself.
I happened into JoAnn's last week. Our oldest daughter Monique sent me a $50 gift certificate so thought to take a look to see what was available. Their batiks were on sale at 25% off, so I took advantage of the opportunity to stock up on some blues.
Additionally I pulled some pinks and green along with a couple new pink additions from our local quilt shop. I have an artsy piece in mind.
I saw these ideas in an Art Quilting magazine, so has me thinking somewhere along this line. Wish I was more creative, but I always need a picture idea or a pattern.
Meet Lisa the dog and Pip the cat our oldest daughter's two pets. These two are great friends. Apparently Liza seems to think that Pip is a pillow. I can't tell if Pip is just tolerating this or likes it. My daughter says that Pip is the boss, so if she isn't happy she would let Lisa know.