Sunday, July 30, 2023

TABLE TRIVETS AND QUILTING WITH SELF THREADING NEEDLES

I am finally back to sewing for myself.  Bejeweled it off to the quilter and when done I will bind it and give it to my guild's charity group.  A happy ending to a very tedious and often panicking project.  My guild has a quilt show coming up in May so now I can concentrating on sewing for the boutique.  Easy projects that we sell during the show.  Our last quilt show brought in over $2,000 in sales of simple table runners, pot holders, and various other small handmade projects.  Total expense was $90, as the guild members made the projects with their own supplies.

My current project for the boutique are table trivets.  Bernina featured a pattern on their WeAllSew site of this very easy project.  I used a jelly roll and just some left over scraps which quickly became a total of 14 complete so far.  The pattern will be given out to others and we should have plenty to sell by May.

The bird blocks are bordered and I have started the quilting process.  I am still debating on whether to do a scolloped edge on the final black print border or not.  At this point getting the center quilted is my goal.
I am using a simple serpentine stitch for my quilting. Stopping and starting the quilting to not quilt over the appliqués makes this a bit of a slow process.  I prefer to knot and pull thread ends through into the batting.  I do not like the little knots that show on the back if one sews several very tiny stitches for knotting, so that slows the process down a good deal.
I recently discovered a very handy tools for my knotting process.  I have played around with large needles with large eyes, also self threading needles of various types.  All work well, but this needle I recently discovered is a real plus for sure.  It is super sharp and the loop is really large and there is no problem as it passes through the fabric and doesn't leave a large hole either.  It really is a winner for sure.  
  
Linky Parties on the Side Bar
    







     

18 comments:

  1. the bird blocks are beautiful! that knotting needle looks like something I could of used when I made a tie quilt lol, luv the table trivits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that new needle you have for stitching in the thread ends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun and cute trivets. The bird blocks turned out beautifully too. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table trivets are adorable - I bet they go fast! The bird blocks are so pretty, and the serpentine quilting looks perfect. What kind of needle is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The table trivets are adorable and I imagine will be a big seller at the quilt show. The border fabrics are pretty on the little bird quilt. I look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with the table trivets, they are looking great. I love watching your birds, they are so pretty! Have fun with the quilting, and burying threads, the SnagMagic Needle will make the process easier ;)
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the trivets and the applique quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so talented. I love the pink ones the very best. My favorite color.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. The table trivets are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip about the new needle! Your table trivets are so pretty, and the binding looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the applique top, the borders really frame it well. I'm with you on the knots. Does that need have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful projects - congrats on the finish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you've found the perfect needle! Love those flower blocks. I think a scalloped border would set them off perfectly if you decide to do it.

    Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/02/wednesday-wait-loss-339

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your bird appliqué! So, does the giant eye of that needle collapse when you pull it through your fabric? Your trivets are cute, too, and I'm curious about the binding as that looks like it would be the slowest part of that project. Is there a trick for speeding up the binding?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your trivets Donnalee, as well as the bird applique. I do think it would look great with scalloped borders. That needle looks interesting! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the trivets!! what a sweet idea !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scalloped edges will be a bit more work, but they will complement the bird blocks beautifully.

    ReplyDelete