Sunday, July 16, 2023

GARDENHURST BIRDS AND QUILTING FOR CHARITY

A really good week getting some some charity projects finished and another that I have been trying to start for several months.

I completed the first of four blocks on this new project.  

I purchased this pattern several month ago.  I do not intend at this time to make the entire quilt.  I want to do only the four bird blocks, adjusting the size to 12 inches squares.  Then I will do a small border and then the scalloped border on them.  I had a nice stash of Austrailian Aboriginal fabrics and added some additional ones that I thought looked good with them.  I may eventually do the entire pattern in my William Morris fabric collection.


  

My quilt guild has a program that currently makes about 300 quilts each year for different local agencies.  There are two ladies that run the program, but over the years the the project has taken off and the work load of making kits, quilting them, and doing bindings and the finishing has become pretty overwhelming.  Quilting seems to be the main difficulty, as many long arm quilters also have quilting businesses to run and are limited to how many they are willing to quilt for us.  I can manage small quilts up to about 40 by 45 on my domestic machine.  About 30 of us meet once a month and with the kits provided make the quilt tops.  Then group provides the top completed, batting, and prepared binding for the quilters.  So I offered to do any of the small quilts.  I am not a free motion quilter, but I do have a nice supply of pretty colored quilting threads and a serpentine stitches looks nice on them.  So over the last two days I managed to get the two done and just doing the hand work on the bindings now.  I'll pick up two or three more next month.

Linky Parties on the Side Bar


    

 


 

14 comments:

  1. I have never seen that pretty pattern before! Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the serpentine stitch for quilting and use it a lot. It seems perfect for donation quilts, especially. Love your new start with the bird blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bird blocks are going to be lovely all together. Pretty Australian Aboriginal fabrics too, they play very well with this project. Well done with the quilting for donation quilts, the colourful serpentine stitch is great!
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new project is starting off with a bang. Love those fabrics and the bird theme. Congrats on finishing off the two donation quilts. Sounds like you found a good niche to help keep the donation quilts moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gardenhurst looks gorgeous! I love that serpentine stitch, so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guild has the same problem with getting tops quilted, especially since they are all twin size. That's a cute panel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work. You're so talented.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice of you to take on the quilting for charity work! It's a never ending need and every quilt helps. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/17/wednesday-wait-loss-337

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely block. Thnk you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The William Morris fabric is fabulous choice for your appliquéd bird blocks. Using the serpentine stitch to quilt charity quilts is an excellent solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The serpentine stitch works great and it's very forgiving. I use if fairly often on my smaller quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What cheery looking charity quilts. :) Thanks for sharing in the Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the bird block! Your charity quilts look great and I do love that serpentine stitch. Sometimes I've used it to stitch down binding to the front of my quilts! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete