Sunday, June 25, 2023

BEJEWELED UPDATE, AND LAYER CAKES

Despite having cataract surgery on my left eye this past Wednesday I was back for a brief time in that afternoon in the sewing room, and by Thursday able to work in there a couple hours each day since then.  Back for right eye this coming Wednesday.  Much easier than I thought all this would be.  A bit interesting with one eye done and the other not, as far as my vision, but there is a great deal of improvement.  First time in years I can actually watch TV without my glasses on.  Amazing!

I have been working on Bejeweled a bit over the last couple days.  I ended up buying some additional fabrics and also changing out a couple of fabrics.  I think I finally have everything planned out for getting this project completed.  It has been a bit of a struggled with fabric selections.

Just before I started on Bejeweled I was working on a scrap project.  I had a bin full of layer cakes bundles.  The strips are 2.5" wide and 8.5" long so the layer cake fabric works great for these blocks.

I saw this picture on one of the blogs I frequent and thought It would be perfect for doing something with those precut layer cakes.


My strips are all cut and as soon as I can clear the mess I have of Bejeweled fabric all over the cutting table, counters and floor I can get moving again on this project.  
There is alway some room for cuteness.  Our youngest daughter, as many of you know that follow my blog, lives out in the country on about 4 acres.  She has a multitude of pets.  Chickens, ducks, peacocks, geese, dogs, cats and yes even three boys and husband.  This little lady has a habit of escaping out of the chicken yard, and came up missing for several days.  My daughter finally found her under a bush in the back yard with 10 chicks.  So she has remained outside the chicken yard and discovered the patio furniture and the lovely new cushions my daughter just purchased.  This was the perfect place for her family to enjoy a nice warm summer afternoon.

Linky Parties on the Side Bar


 
 

17 comments:

  1. I like your fabric selections for Bejeweled. Your scrappy project is off to a good start too. Enjoy your stitching time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bejeweled is looking great! I really like the next project you are planning. So pretty. Love the hen and chicks. I wouldn't be so happy with her choice of place to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your cataract surgery went well. My Mom had no problems with hers either. Bejeweled is coming along nicely, and I love your scrappy blue and green quilt, thanks for sharing how you made it. Love the proud mama and all her adorable chicks! Good luck on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your two projects are coming along nicely. Cute little chicks, it looks like your daughter's animals like to run away ;))
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun happening there! Thanks for blogging and posting at Kathy's this Sunday !
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good use of precuts, love the stripes.
    Oh, my, 10 chicks! haha
    Congenital cataracts run in my family, but I didn't get them, nor did our kids, though a couple of nephews did. Hope the second procedure goes as easily as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay on the improvement after cataract surgery! I know exactly what you mean, I was shocked at how well I could see even before I got the second surgery. My biggest surprise was the amount of light! Oh that hen just made me laugh out loud! She wants to be a house pet, obviously - lol! I love chickens, had them as a child - their personalities are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad your sight is improving... that's fabulous! The photo of the chicken with her babies is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing how much improvement that cataract surgery makes? I was surprised by how bright colors were again. Had mine both done about a month apart. I had to chuckle over the hen with her chicks on the patio. She's a smart one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had both my eyes done and what a difference it's made. I didn't care for all the eye drops for days and days, but besides that it was great.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing your daughter's menagerie! They are such fun. So glad you came through the surgery so well. Mine was easy too, and amazing how much better I can see! Your projects are lovely, especially the one with jelly roll strips. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/28/wednesday-wait-loss-334

    ReplyDelete
  12. May was my month for cataract surgery. I was shocked, like you, how quickly I could return to sewing. Such a treat to "see" our work. Both projects are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to hear the first cataract surgery went well! Nice work on your projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both your projects are coming right along, Linda! I was thinking you could use a strip pack for the second project, as well as a layer cake. But I love the design!! I may have to steal that one from you for an upcoming project! I'm so glad your surgery was a success and you are seeing better already. Those little chicks are just adorable. I remember my granny buying little deedee's we called them and keeping them inside in a huge box until they were old enough to go out to the chicken coop. I think it's great your daughter has all the animals on the farm, especially for her boys! Thanks for linking up with MM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your daughter's little hen is just adorable -- and stubborn enough to make time for little chicks. So cute. Hope we get a picture of the chicks one day! What a great use for the layer cakes. Beautiful, soothing colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad to hear that everything is going so well!!! and Yay for no glasses!!!
    Bejeweled is coming along so nicely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Donnalee, I'm so happy to hear that the surgeries went well and that you're even able to work on quilts already! Those chicks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete