Tuesday, March 21, 2017

YES I'VE COMPLETELY LOST MY MIND

     In October I fell victim to a demo at a quilt show and purchased a Tsukineko ink set.  In January I saw several quilts using paints and decided to purchase a set of Jacquard Dye-na-Flow paints as well.  They have sat in a box in my studio ever since.  In this past couple of weeks I decided to enroll in a Craftsy class that deals with painting on fabric.  That involved purchasing Pebeo transparent paints.  Yes insane, but I am on this mission now and refuse to give up.
     I spent Saturday afternoon, watching U-Tube classes and experimenting with this new crazy idea of mine.
Try number one with the Jacquard paints.  I'm was not impressed, so read more and watched more U-Tube.
   Try number two, a bit better.  Plus I can add more color once these dry.  Also I am using Pellon 830 interfacing.  Great for raw edge appliqué as it will not fray.  However, one must color it.
Try number three, using the Tsukineko ink.  I think I like this better and will have to try a couple more color combos.
Just for fun, I painted over this batik with a light tan color to reduce the brightness of the fabric.  A suggestion from one of the U-Tube classes.  At least one doesn't have to make their own colors, but can change the color a bit on printed fabrics.  
This is what I am trying to achieve.  I took this picture at a quilt show to give me a visual image.  This gal does a fantastic job.  These leaves were done with Pellon 830 interfacing painted with I believe Pebeo transparent paints.  After watching the Craftsy class I am taking this seems to be where I want to go.  
Well it may be I really have completely lost my mind, but  I am linking up with this WIP and hopefully to really be able to figure this out.

11 comments:

  1. painting fabric that does sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always tough to find just the right medium that 'clicks' with one, isn't it? Loving seeing your experiments, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are having fun experimenting. Your top leaf, should look great once you do some thread painting on it. Have you ever looked at Helen Godden's website? She has some online classes, one that I'm interested in is the painting and then FMQ over the design. But I just CAN'T add another new project to me to-do list right now. Looking forward to seeing where you head with your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. always love seeing what you are up to!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really great colors, especially the golden leaf with the caramel highlights! Makes me miss fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm miss Fall already as well....grin. It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wbat a fascinating technique! Have fun playing with those paints!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun experimenting. That's the only way one learns. You'll be an expert in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Experimentation is the key. Never know how something will turn out unless there's a test piece first. And what doesn't work for one application, may work for another. Keep experimenting! Thanks for sharing this on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete