Sunday, April 23, 2023

YES! I QUILTED IT MYSELF

I don't normally quilt anything myself unless it is small, runners, small wall hangings and pretty much nothing bigger than 36 by 36.  I watched a YouTube this past week on quilting on your domestic machine and thought I might be crazy, but I would give it a try.

I moved my Bernina 750 out to the dining room table.  I knew I needed a good deal of space.  This quilt had 8" blocks and was 40" by 48".  I pinned pressed and smoothed out the first row and started quilting it proceeding row by row.  

Success!  No wrinkles and quilted with a serpentine stitch approximately every 2 inches.  Just finishing up the handwork on the binding. 

Lori Holt from the Fat Quarter shop had a YouTube tutorial on these 10 inch butterfly blocks so I figured that I would attempt to eliminate my Tilda stash.  At this point I can only get 20 blocks cut out of my Tilda leftovers.  I will have to turn the blocks and set 4  across and 5 down.  It will require lattice strips of probably 2 inches.  So should come out at 46 by 58.  Well, if I was able to do quilt the Wonky Blocks quilt successfully I figure I can manage this Butterfly quilt.

I finished my other Tilda quilt last week.  It will be turned into my Warm Wrappings charity group to be quilted, bound and distributed to 5 local agencies in our area in October.  I had a goal of making 12 quilt tops for them this year and this completes my commitment.

This coming week I am making some spring placemats for myself and very possibly doing some more quilting of those butterflies too.

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

MID WEEK MAKERS

CONFESSIONS OF A FABRIC ADDICT

      

   

 



 

20 comments:

  1. Yeah!! Well done, you quilted it beautifully. I love the butterflies blocks, pretty Tilda fabrics!
    Thank you for sharing these beauties, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only quilt small quilts myself too, wall hangings, cot quilts, can do a single quilt too if I take my time. My theory is, if they are donation quilts, I'll do simple quilting on them myself. I love your pretty butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on quilting your first quilt on your Bernina 750. That encourages me to try on my own Bernina! Thank you for sharing!
    Your butterfly blocks came out lovely! I’m thinking that might work for my 30’s fabrics!
    Your charity quilt is also lovely.
    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the successful machine quilting! That quilt is so pretty. I like the butterflies and the other Tilda quilt also. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing the quilt on your domestic machine! Love your butterfly blocks, those are really pretty. And your other Tilda quilt is looking good too. You had a really productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on the quilting! Look at you go now. Good luck with the butterflies <3 Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NIce work on the quilting. I am doing QAYG on my current quilt. Pretty butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on quilting the log cabin quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful. I wish I had this talent.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great job quilting! I knew you could do it. Love, love your Tilda projects! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the quilting of your wonky blocks quilt. Wrestling the Wright of a larger quilt is a problem! Great solution using your dining room table. It turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats. I think you did great on the quilting. Those are all cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work on the quilting! Congratulations for pushing yourself to try it. I try not to quilt on my domestic unless it is something small. I really love those butterflies too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful finishes,the tilda quilt is an interesting layout,is this the name of the blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The serpentine stitch is great. I use it all the time. Congrats on finishing so many charity quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi DonnaLee, what a wonderful finish! I'm so glad that you were able to quilt it yourself. You did a great job! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay you!!! Great that you attempted and had great success!!
    Thanks for linking up to FInished ( or not) Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on the quilting and your charity quilt count. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on quilting your first bigger quilt on your domestic machine. It's really freeing to be able to do that. It sounds like you are really keeping busy with projects and with the charity quilts.

    ReplyDelete