Sunday, April 2, 2023

GONE FISHING UPDATE AND WONKY LOG CABINS

I think the rain has finally stopped in our area.  It might actually be the beginning of some spring weather.  I may have finally got my blog email issue cleared up too.  Technology is wonderful until it isn't.

My quilter published my finished Gone Fishing quilt on their Facebook site on Friday and I picked up the second one with the blue lattice on Saturday.  Now to bind this thing, it is 74" by 94".  I have been worried as both have to be done by the middle of this month.  They are gifts for two grandsons, one  for his birthday and the other just because I don't want him to wait until August for his. 

No small task to get the binding on this quilt.  I moved my Bernina 750 to the dining room table and set up chairs to manage excess hanging over.  I was greatly surprised that it worked really well.  I had the binding on it with no problems at all.  Now the hand work sewing the binding down and get the second one bound too.

I had a really large Jelly Roll of spring fabrics setting around for several years.  I recently purchased a set of Wonky Log Cabin rulers by Jean Ann Wright and decided to take a bit of time and try them out.  The 10 inch size uses 2.5" strips.


  
I only made them up to 8 inches with the 10 inch ruler as I did not have sufficient fabric to continue the third row of light and dark fabrics. But they are fun!  
I hope to be able to get enough made for a small quilt, but figure if that doesn't work I can make placemats or a table runner out of them instead.



 

 

  

 

16 comments:

  1. It's scary how fast deadlines can creep up on you. Good luck with finishing off the first fish quilt. Love the pretty fabrics in your wonky log cabin blocks. Such fun colors for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two quilts soon to be finished ;) Your wonky log cabin blocks are pretty, it's going to be a beautiful Spring project!
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wonky Log Cabins are terrific! You'll make that deadline just fine I'm sure. And the grandsons should love the fishing theme quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gone Fishing quilt is amazing! What a big quilt - good luck with the quilting. Those wonky log cabins are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you're on track! Congrats on being so close to the finish line with them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain with the blog headaches. Though I have not had any issues recently, I have in the past. :'( Thanks for joining Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so talented. Wow.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those wonky log cabins! I think with a jelly roll you'll have enough to make a lap quilt and it'll be so cute! Those fabrics are lovely. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/04/05/wednesday-wait-loss-322

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still having a bit of trouble with replying from my email to some comments. Thank you so much. I did have enough of the jelly roll to get 30 blocks all cut and ready to go. So should end up with 40 by 48 quilt top.

      Delete
  9. Donnalee the Gone Fishing quilt is fantastic!! I absolutely LOVE those wonky log cabin blocks! Looking forward to seeing what you make with those! That is very colorful and spring-like fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last year I started sewing my bindings down by machine on both sides. The trick is to start by sewing it to the backside and then fold it around to the front. It's been working well for me and I've been very happy with how quickly I can finish the bindings now. I really didn't like hand-sewing them down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. bright & cheerie quilts your grandsons will luv them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DonnaLee your Gone Fishing quilts are sure to be a hit with your grandsons. Looks like the dining room table worked perfectly for the binding. What a great way to use up a jelly roll. The log cabin quilt will be a cute one when it’s finished. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. 😉 Carol QuiltSchmilt@gmail.com
    https://quiltschmilt.ca/2023/04/03/to-do-tuesday-linky-party-14/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gone fishing is so cute!! thank you for linking this post to Finished ( or not) Friday!!! Great to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi DonnaLee, I'm looking forward to seeing both quilts finished (as I'm sure are you!) Those wonky log cabin blocks are lovely. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would love to see a whole quilt of those wonky blocks. The variation creates a lot of movement.

    ReplyDelete