Sunday, January 14, 2024

STORAGE SOLUTIONS, & SWEET TWEETS 2/3 COMPLETE

 I almost have Christmas decorations down and put away.  Still have a couple more mug rugs/coasters to finish up with left over Christmas fabrics.  Doing some storage additions in the sewing room.  Things got really messy in there and just not enough ways to stash in progress projects.  The beginning of a new year seems like a good time to do something about that.  

First thing Sweet Tweet blocks 1 through 6 are all done and put together.  Two thirds of the way done.  Now just time to start number 7, number 8 is downloaded and waiting as well to begin and then the final block 9 will be released in February.  Beginning to look like a quilt at last.  

I have an awesome sewing room, with fairly good storage, but is it ever enough?  I need better storage.

Previously I used these plastic storage containers.  Stacks and stacks of them and it just was not enough and cumbersome as they were all stacked 5 and 6 deep under my cutting table.  

I did not want to spend a great deal of money on another system.  I searched a number of options and found these storage drawer systems on Amazon.  They are approximately 24 by 24 with pull out drawers about 12 by 12 each.   

I bought 2 of them and set them back to back under the cutting table.  Every thing that I had in the plastic containers fit into them and I still have 3 drawers left.  So much easier to get to things and the cost was just under $120 for them.  They are very study.  Yes, still have a couple current projects in plastic bins that I am working on, but this has sure improved things in the sewing room.   
It is cold here and rainy.  Zoey our little Yorkshire Terrier has decided she is not going to get out of bed this morning.  She has a. nice deep nest in a chair in the sitting room of our master bedroom and that is the plan for the day.  

 Linky Parties on the Side Bar



 


 

22 comments:

  1. Sweet Zoey ;)) She has a perfect warm and cozy spot for the day!
    Your birds blocks are beautiful, I love to see them all together on the wall. Great and pretty new drawers, it's fun to change and improve things around the sewing room.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storage is always an issue for me in the sewing space. . .I collect so much faster than I can sew it up. I like your thoughts and I'm with Zoey as it is cold in our neck of the woods too!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely, organized sewing space makes me smile. It seems I can have a cute, clean sewing room or a busy, messy one. The clean doesn't seem to last too long since I have a habit of working on more than one thing at a time.
    Your birds and flowers are a delight! Great color/fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your storage solution, and those Tweet blocks are sweet as is your little Zoey who has the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Sweet Tweet blocks!! Can't wait to see the remaining blocks and the project all together.
    There is no such thing as too much storage. Those containers look perfect, and fit right under your cutting table, out of the way.
    Poor Zoey, I would stay in bed with a warm blanket too if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. birds are lovely - I agree storage is key and never enough

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Tweets is going to be such a fun quilt. Storage and organization seems to be an on going battle in the sewing room. It's good you found something that works for you. I have a recent purchase I need to assemble and see if it will work as envisioned. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zoey has her priorities in order! I have a good storage system for my fabrics but have noticed lately that the drawers for each colour are getting messy. I’m working on getting them tidied up. Those colourful birds are wonderful! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zoey has the right of it! We are in single to minus temps here, so I might join Zoey in staging a lay in for the day. I could just sit under the quilt I am binding. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous blocks....and it does look neat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pretty blocks! i'm glad you found a storage system that works for you--it's often a matter of trial and error before we find what works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're most talented and most organized too. Good for you.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have storage boxes and bins.....wish I could really motivate to make myself take the time to really organize.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zoey has the right idea! There never seems to be enough storage because there is always so many new things coming into our studios. We also can outgrow our storage systems as we transition into new kinds of projects. Good that you were able to find something that worked better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like your new storage is working well. I need to figure out mine a bit better too. Love Sweet Tweets and how it's going together! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/01/17/wednesday-wait-loss-363

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great that you were able to find a new storage option that works for you. I have everything stored in plastic bins on shelves that line most of the walls of the sewing area. I have shoebox sized bins which are great for smaller pieces of fabric or smaller projects. Then I have some bins that are about 10 x 12. They are nice for bigger pieces of fabric or bigger projects. I've used this storage system for a long time. It works here because we have a lot of indoor cats which would sleep on fabric that wasn't enclosed some way.

    The bird blocks are really pretty. They're going to make a gorgeous quilt.

    Zoey has the right idea about how to spend these cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the bird blocks. (And the nose peeking from under the blanket - a wise idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bird blocks are sweet and organizing is a great way to start the new year! Sweet puppy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet Tweet is really looking amazing. It's such a fun colorful design. Love that little doggy nose peeking out - similar to my daughter's little dog this past week. I feel like doing the same - hiding under a blanket. Your storage is looking good. I still have to manage my storage better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Sweet Tweet blocks look so lovely together. You are doing a fabulous job on this charming project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet Tweets is something special! Sewing room storage endlessly evolves. I'm re-looking at how I store things this year too. I too want projects and supplies easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so funny, my Yorkie Loki loves getting under the covers too. Our last cold spell he wouldn't go outside. Your applique blocks are really lovely. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete