Sunday, August 28, 2022

FIRE ENGINES, CLEAN IT UP & DUCKS

Our oldest grandson Elijah recently passed his National EMT training certification and has been working as a volunteer fireman with a local area while he waits for entry into the Fire Academe.  He jokingly asked me to make him a fire engine quilt.  Yah sure, but I did stumble across a picture of one on the internet and was able to duplicate it.  I thought it was a bit of a young child's quilt theme, but once the top was done I thought it came out really pretty good.  His 20th birthday is in November, so it is off to the quilter this week once the back I order arrives.

This is the final finished top of The Flower Pot quilt.  It is off to the quilters now. 

The sewing room got a good cleaning this past few days.  The carpet in there was a mess.  Overspray from Best Press and the path from the ironing board to my cutting table was pretty bad as well.  So I emptied the entire room and we busted out the rug shampooer and husband got to it.  I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised to find it cleaned up almost like a new carpet.

As long as I was doing some major cleaning in there I managed a bit of overhaul in the closet with my wire basket storage system of moving the bins that I don't use much to one side of the closet and the fabric bins I do use to the other.  Gives one a whole new feeling in there.
Once I had everything out of the sewing room and carpet is drying for half a day and overnight I figured I could set up my travel sewing machine in the dining room and at least accomplish something.  I stumbled on a bin of cut squares and the patten so was able to sew a couple rows of a quilt destined for my guild's charity group.  So all and all the two days of wet carpet and cleaning worked out fairly well.
We had birthday celebrations out at my daughter's last weekend and snapped a couple pictures of the six little ducks she purchased two weeks ago.  They have grown a good deal and have graduated to their own little yard.  
   



15 comments:

  1. My sewing room needs a thorough cleaning too, but I just can't seem to make myself do it. I think the fire engine quilt will be a big hit, even though he's an adult. It's a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for tackling the sewing room clean up. I doubt we'll ever move furniture (and a long arm) to clean the carpet. Maybe to replace carpet with vinyl but I doubt will do that any time soon. Like those blue and cream blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fire truck is AWESOME!! COngrats to your grandson!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the EMT! And on the "new" sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your grandson - quite an achievement! That firetruck quilt is awesome - will it be a surprise even though he joked about it? Yay on the cleanup! I know that gives you new inspiration. Those little duckies are adorable - what are their names?
    Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the fire truck top! And happy birthday to Elijah ;) Your Flower Pot quilt is gorgeous too.
    Fun to see how the little ducks have grown!
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Flower Pot quilt is stunning, and the firetruck quilt is awesome, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A huge congratulation to your grandson. What a wonderful achievement.

    Love the ducks. How fun.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such cute little ducks! Two quilts off to the quilter is a big accomplishment to me! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fire engine built looks great, hope your grandson approves. Quack, quack, love those ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS meant to add, what wonderful career for your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That fire engine quilt is perfect for your grandson's achievement. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Fire Engine quilt. Good job, Elijah! Firefighters are heroes! Kudos on the sewing room clean! Mine needs it badly. If I ever get everything out of there, the carpet will come up and vinyl flooring will go in. That project is definitely down the road awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think the quilt looks childish. I'm sure he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your fire engine is perfect and I'm sure he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete