Sunday, August 7, 2022

AUGUST BOM AND A POSEY QUILT

August has just begun and I am back to working on the 8th month of my Block of the Month Garden Party Down Under.  I got my Alex Anderson neutral quilt finished and it is off to the quilter.  So I should be able to breathe easier.  

I expect to be able to get this Garden Party block done within the next week or so.  After this block I have one more similar to it in September and the last four are 6.5 by 12.5 inches vases with vines and leaves or flowers in October and November.  December is supposed to be a diamond border.  However, the size with the border will not fit on the wall in my dining room so I do not plan to add it.

I told myself I would not start anything new.  However, this particular  book caught my eye.  I happen to have some fabric I purchased some time ago from Melanie Taylor that was in the same colors as on the cover of this book.

And this quilt in it and her sew along that started last week just would not let me escape.

The fabric is absolutely yummy and the pattern is perfect for it.  

The borders are all low volume white and off-white, some do have a bit of color in them as well.  I am not buying any fabric, just using left overs from other projects.

Block number 1 done and only 24 to go.  They are a bit fussy as those magic corners are cut 1.5" square and there are 9 white and 4 brown in each block.  All the centers will be that one brown fabric.  I expect to be doing a great deal of sitting in my chair in the evenings drawing diagonal lines on 1.5" squares.

My daughter sent me this picture.  This is what has greeted her every morning for the last week.  The reason for this gathering is a demand for wet canned cat food not their usual kibble fare.  Sandie the orange cat had a tooth issue that required a visit to the vet for an extraction.  The vet said to feed her wet canned cat food for a few days until she healed.  Normally she does not allow cats on the counter, but to keep the other four unaware of Sandie getting special food for a few days she allowed her to eat up there.  On the second day this is what she woke up to.  And if anyone believes that she is going to get away without their demand for special canned wet food you are very mistaken.     




   



  



  
 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely appliqué vase, I love the background fabric too. What a beautiful new project! Pretty flowers, and a lot of tiny corners!
    Fun photo of the cats ;))
    Thank you for sharing and linking up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 8th month block is so pretty. Between the fabric for the vase and your background fabric, there is such beautiful contrast. The pop of color from the plants is lovely! Your project sounds like my UFO, Stitcher’s Garden. I’m sure it will continue to grow in beauty.
    Yes, those magic corners are fussy, but so very pretty!
    Such cute cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that picture is hysterical and love the story that goes along with it! Love your new block, that will be such a pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there are people in the world that consider cats to be dumb animals. . . little do they know!!! I love you vase block! --TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love the background fabric on that applique! Thank you for sharing that book (love the spiral binding!)--I'll have to give that one a look. Oh my goodness the cats! LOL. I totally believe it! I had two for quite awhile and swore I'd never have two again but I'm kind of missing that second one and I know Chloe (cat) misses her (even though they never got along! LOL). But five?!? That's ambitious! They're all beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so very talented. Beautiful.

    Love the kitty shot. Mom better get the food they want. They will not let her get away with giving them food they don't want.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's hilarious! Yep, I'd say she's gonna have to give those cats wet food. Love your Garden applique block. The new SAL looks fun! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh that cat photo made my day! LOL! Your Garden Party block is so pretty, and that text fabric background complements it so well. I have that quilt book and that quilt is one I have bookmarked. I wasn't aware of the SAL so I'll have to check that out. Is it on IG? Your fabrics look fantastic.
    Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!! So pretty. May need to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you tell us how to find the Sew Along?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your flower blocks. And the cats! My daughter has 5 cats, too. However, they have yet to organize a sit in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cats on the counter top are certainly making a statement! Feed me, feed me. Your new flower quilt looks lovely, and it is great that you have plenty of low volume pieces to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The kitties are quite clever aren’t they? Thanks for the chuckle this morning. Lovely projects going on in your world! - - Sara F

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple block, great impact. Can't wait to see the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I really like all your fabrics...it will make
    a beautiful quilt. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new project is really pretty!! and its always inspiring to start something new!
    Oh those cats haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely handiwork, as always :) The cat thing reflects my house this week--Mickey happily prefers dry food these last few months but I found a pack of wet food and thought I'd see how he reacts. Well, joke's on me as demands it now! I was shocked.


    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Donnalee, I'm happy for you that you finally finished your neutral quilt. It's going to be gorgeous! What a great quilt that you're starting. Love the colours - good luck with those corners although I would rather add the line than actually sew tiny triangles to the block!!! Thanks for the picture of your daughter's cats. I laughed so much - they are on strike, no doubt about it! I guess that's what a cat protest looks like lol. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks!

    ReplyDelete