Monday, July 22, 2019

DRUMMER BOY

I have an addiction to Dresden blocks.  When I saw Rachel's Drummer Boy pattern I had to have it.  
I do not intend to make a bed size quilt.  I am aiming for  42 by 42 inches, which will require 49 blocks.  
Now these blades are only 4 inches long, so I can get two out of 5 inch charm squares.  I stopped into our Tuesday Morning store and found a number of charm packs with the funky fabric I desired.  Not my normal fabric taste, but every once an a while one has to cut loose.  
So cutting blades begins.  I love the crazy fabrics.  
Enough for row one.  Five blades per block, 49 blocks, 245 blades. Let the fun begin.  Believe me this will take some time.  
Her we are, just have to get this set onto a 6.5 inch square.
And the first block is done.  I appliquéd the blades down with invisible thread literally 1/16 from the edge.  Almost invisible.  One done and 244 to go!
It is summer here, about 102 today.  My oldest grandson has taken to the pool for the afternoon.  What can be better than a loved pet floating away the day in the pool with you.  The only thing that may be missing is my daughter's two ducks floating around in there with them.   

17 comments:

  1. Your Dresden plates look like fun! I'm sure it's easier to make a pointed blade than a curved petal. What a great way to use up a variety of prints. I'm envious of your grandson in that pool photo. Looks SO relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the blocks and those super wow fabrics...they are fun to work with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those funky charms make awesome dresdens! This is going to be one happy quilt!
    Looks like the pool is THE place to be when the heat waves are here! I was wishing I had a pool last week! lol! Yes....ducks....we need the ducks in the pool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with your grandson, it's too hot for little else. Hopefully that 1/16th was by machine. Two of my sisters made 3d Dresdens, one of which I quilted. It's difficult stepping outside your comfort zone on fabric, applause. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Thank you for linking up with Put your foot down and be sure to come back and share this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Dresdens are going to be just lovely even at a small quilt size. I remember falling for Rachel's Dresdens too but have not bothered to start one as I have enough to keep me busy for months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bright fabrics; this is going to be a dazzler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute - the Dresden block and the grandson with his dog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are truly funky Dresden blades but the black keeps them in line. They're going to make a stunning quilt. Grandson & dog look great, keeping their cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look like lots of fun prints for your Dresden blocks! I really like that block design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like lots of fun! Enjoy your hand stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quarter dresden is looking fun! I hope you still enjoy making them after another 200... xo Melanie

    www.mellmeyer.de

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who shops at Tuesday morning for fabric. Love the prnts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun Dresden with those vibrant prints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great selection of prints for your dresdens! I love how it's middle of winter here and you are all in pools & loving the sun over there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the classic Dresden blocks... have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your new project!!
    great pool pic!!

    ReplyDelete