Not a lot of really creative things going on here this past week. I am in a mode to get some quilting done and finish up another two project also.
I have been working on quilting my Crazy Christmas Trees runner. I really like metallic thread, but in the past I have had breakage problems with it. While at a quilt show in October, the Superior Thread vendor booth gave me a free video on thread usage. I took some time to watch the entire thing about an hour's worth. So helpful!!!!!
The lesson on metallics thread was such a fantastic improvement dealing with them. So simple too. Use a metallic needle, well that makes sense. But, the real clue was to reduce the upper tension on my machine to one. Thats right all the way from the usual 4 or 5 down to 1. No breakage!!!!!!
I am alternating gold and silver metallic threads. I use a 50 wt thread with them in the bobbin that matches my backing. Not one breakage problem.
I am also appliquéing the fish down on my Fish for Noah placemats. A bit of a different appliqué method, but one I used when I originally made myself four placemats that have been washed many times and held up well. Besides I think it gives the fish a little bit of drama to the appliqué.
So this guy is getting completed and ready to do the actual quilting on the placemat itself.
And the finished product. This is one of six. Each fish is done with different fabrics in different places. All background and binding will be the same.