I cut these blades from a fabric I really love, but was unsure of the stripe placements on them.
I went ahead and put half a plate together and didn't feel any better about the the stipe fabric.
So I changed gears and recut new pink blades to replace the stripes. I still wish I could have made the stripe work, but I just could not get past the stripes placement not being the same on each blade. I did try and it seemed just impossible to manage.
I did soothe my temporary upset and cut out this block. I think I will audition my fabrics before I start sewing these things together in the future.
I also learned a great trick sewing the blades together. I changed my stitch plate to a single hole plate on my machine. I was having problems with the sewing machine sucking the fabric into the large hole plate. That change has improved sewing them a good deal.
And here we are. I am all ready to add more plates to their background pieces. I am on hold for a few days waiting for an order of 12wt thread. I have a large jar of them, but no pink. This last Dresden that gave me so much trouble needs a pink thread to sew the center piece on. I plan to take a break now and get my Southern Charm quilt top sewn together and hopefully get it to the quilter some time this month. And of course more quilt show boutique placemats and runners.
Such pretty floral prints! Whatever you decide to do about the stripes, I'm sure your Dresdens will be fine.ReplyDelete
Such beauty! I think you may be starting a Dresden Plate trend. Thank you for sharing your journey and tips!ReplyDelete
I have that same problem when I use stripes in a pattern. *sigh* I used to be unhappy when plaids didn't turn out straight, but I came to find that the straight lines vary within the fabric. I adore each of your Dresden Plates.ReplyDelete
I love your Dresden Plates, very pretty! I'm looking ofrward to seeing your southerncharm quilt all together now. Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'ReplyDelete
oh my...you are tempting me...ReplyDelete
Aren't those pretty?! I can see how they are addicting!ReplyDelete
I think you were absolutely right - the stripes would only work if they were in the same place on each blade - could it work if you flipped them by 90 degrees and had the stripe running vertically down the centre of the blade?ReplyDelete
Love Dresdens. These are very pretty!ReplyDelete
Beautiful blocks, but I would struggle with those stripes, too! My mom has made many of these quilts and has a clear template she uses for cutting. After she cuts the first one, she marks the template with key elements (a stripe in your case, but it could also be a leaf or flower motif) to cut the remaining pieces identically. Your fabric looks like Swiss cheese, but you get the desired effect. And she removes the marks (sharpie marker) with rubbing alcohol...I think...probably best to test that on a corner before going full speed ahead with marking! (But I can ask her if you'd like more info!)ReplyDelete
Love all things dresden! beautiful fabric!ReplyDelete
Lovely Dresdens! Your fabric choices are great!ReplyDelete
Lovely Dresdens. I know the addiction. I had to do a 12 step program to stop. You have chosen beautiful combinations of fabric and you do beautiful workmanship.ReplyDelete
Oh, I love the Dresden! I even think the stripes being in different places around the plate looked fine, but I definitely understand not being pleased when you envision something looking a certain way and it doesn't work out right. I do like the replacement dresden pieces though. It's all looking so fantastic!ReplyDelete