Tuesday, November 28, 2017

PECANS AND BABY QUILTS

It is pecan harvest season at our house.  We have two trees on the side of our home.  The larger one is easily 40 feet high and the smaller one, if one can call it that about 30 for 35 feet tall.  My husband harvests them himself, which ends up being a pretty lengthy ordeal.  It involves lots of drying them in our oven, cracking them open, and drying them again.  Our dining room ends up pretty littered with stray shells on a regular basis and it goes on for several weeks before he is done.  
During all this I try to stay clear of the mess.  There is no better way to do that than to get into my quilting studio and find a new project, any project to avoid the mess until I can vacuum up the debris at the end of a day.  
Yes, a baby quilt.  I had lots of left over Big Sky by Annie Brady charm squares from my runner I made earlier last month.   
And it was done pretty easily and quickly.
Have you noticed in the last few years that baby quilts are not so babyish?  I wondered about that as I put this together.  It is only 40 inches square so only really big enough for a baby/child quilt.  I did not have enough fabric to border it, just enough to bind it.  The binding will be that black and white print in it.  I like it a lot and the little bear print squares seem just enough to call it a baby quilt.  I'll quilt it myself and stash it away for that gift that will eventually come up for a little one.

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have all those pecans. I use them for my snacks, and the price has gone up considerably this year. I harvest black walnuts, and it too is a messy project, but some really love them, and I make some fun money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea the process for preparing pecans to eat. Wow! The baby quilt is very cute. I have noticed that the fabrics are very different for baby quilts than just light blue or pinks. I think designers must have to get very creative with color schemes and themes to come up with fresh ideas for baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning,
    I do know what you mean about baby quilts not being quite so baby-ish. My niece wanted a gray and white baby quilt - huh?! That's not baby to me! The didn't want to find out the gender. Okay, how about a nice yellow or green then??! The pecans!! I hand no idea how the process worked. I am deathly allergic to them, so I will never partake of them, but I find it fascinating to read about. How long do they last once he has completed all the drying out processes? Just curious - and what do you do with all of them? Pecan pie, crushed up in crusts, eat plain? ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! what a pecan harvest!!
    always enjoy seeing what you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious pecans, do you make pecan pie then? I love pecan pie! I think you will have to start another project to avoid the mess longer;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make some baby quilts ASAP. New one coming along soon. Maybe DECEMBER! My 1st Grand baby! I am so excited! And I love collecting pecans! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like those pecans are a lot of work. How many pounds do you end up with, and what do you do with them? Your baby quilt is cute, and I'll admit I'm guilty of not making them look so baby-ish. Maybe because I want it to be used into toddler-hood? And why not? Thanks for sharing today on Midweek Makers.

    ReplyDelete