Sunday, April 28, 2024

APPLIQUE RELIEF

This week I have done a bit of shopping for my sewing room.  Once I was able to finish up with all the painting of a good part of the house and the painters were finished and the house returned to a normal state I figured to do something about the carpet in my sewing room.  It is old, we figure about 20 plus years old.  Time to replace it.  I considered laminate as most of our home is wood floors or laminate in the office.  Not sure how all that thread and pins that seem to end up on the floor would do rolling around on laminate flooring.  So we opted for carpet again.  They install next Friday.  So have to empty the room for a day or two, guess I will move the machine and ironing board into the dining room.   

I did manage to get another scrap quilt top put together for my charity group out of the scrap bins of 2-1/2" strips I cut up.  My idea was to rid myself easily of all my ever growing scrap bins.  It has not helped at all.  I still have tons of the strips left.  I now have a third quilt top  ready to put together.  However, making these is a bit of a relief from dealing with my current appliqué project.
Last week I got the first block, one on left side, completed and thought that I might have bitten off more than I could chew with this kit.  I figured will just forge ahead and see what happens.  These blocks and the pieces are tiny like 3-1/2 by 6-1/2 inches for the little block in the middle and the other two not much bigger.  I have been  surprised that they are not that bad.  So plan to just keep going until either I get them all done or lose my mind, which ever comes first.   

Linky Parties on the Side Bar


 


13 comments:

  1. I hope the carpet installation goes quickly and smoothly. Lovely charity top, those strings may not make a difference in your scrap bins, but it's a beautiful project.
    Well done with the first finished appliqué block! Tyni is often pretty, and this project is no exception ;)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are making good headway on your home projects. Your scrappy strips turned out beautifully. It does appear that no matter how many scraps you use, the bins are still really full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have carpet in my room that should be replaced but with what, I like carpet as it is easier to stand on than a hard floor! I like your strip pieced blocks. Those scraps seem to multiply faster than we can ever use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fun house stuff!! haha!!
    Love your scrappy quilt - its got so much great color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both, but the first one has some great colors.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back and forth on what to do in my sewing room when we redid the flooring in our home. Finally opted for carpet but a couple years later (and a freak candle accident--wax!), I switched to the wood that is in the main rooms and loved that I could roll around on my chair, etc. But then I moved to a bigger room for my studio and I'm back on carpet! LOL Well, at least it's quiet and warm and it's certainly better for my back and legs but I think I'm about 51% for the wood floor and 49% for carpet. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous applique! I debated too about the carpet vs laminate for my sewing room. Went with the laminate. I've been happy with the decision, although the floor is cold sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The applique blocks are beautiful! You always know when you start an applique project you are in for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that scrappy quilt top. Fabric scraps definitely multiply in the tub when we look away, that's why it never seems to go down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scraps get tinier but never disappear completely. That is my experience. But let's look at the finished projects instead :-) Looks lovely. Those flowers and bird are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your applique project, but I agree sometimes you need an alternate plan. The scrappy quilt is really cute! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Donnalee, it's amazing how size makes a difference and I'm sure that small appliqués are much tougher than larger ones. Good luck - and at least you can play with scraps! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still love your applique blocks. Glad you got some relief. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete