Sunday, May 21, 2023

THE PROJECT

I have spent this past week working on a project for my Warm Wrappings charity group.  The two ladies in charge of the group asked if I would make a quilt kit up for them that they were not able to manage.  Sure, sounded like fun. 

Now, that situation did surprise me a bit, as both these ladies are very experience and exceptionally good quilters.  But, I did know both were going on a couple summer trips and I figured timing to get it done for possibly an upcoming organization doing a fundraising auction event was a reason to ask me to do it for them.  
I have it done thus far.  There are two more borders to go on it.  I do know that there was a LOT of fussy cutting of the fabric for the panel pieces and also the six floral pieces between the square panels.  One thing they knew about me was I am a very accurate piecer, and Oh Boy was that needed for this project.  On top of it some fabrics had lots of extra and others were just barely enough.
I did take some creative license on the four blocks in the corners of the center piece.  The border fabric that was used in the floral pieces between the 4 square panels had strips of large and small butterflies, moths, and dragonflies.  Those 2" finished squares were supposed to be 4 patches of 1"each finished.  Hmmmm, I don't think so!  Why do all that piecing when one has these little guys that were a perfect size to fit into that space instead. 
Well, here is my pieced second border.  The top and bottom borders are done and I am working on the sides now.  To add to all the fussiness 52 of those greenish colored triangles are one-way fabric so have to be cut very carefully so that they are all going in the same direction from top to bottom on all four sides.  After that just one 2.5 inch border in white, then it goes back to them they will quilt it and I get it back to do the binding and handwork. 
Just because after all that above, I thought I earned a moment of cuteness.  My daughter sent me this picture of her newest pets addition to her back yard farm.  They live in the country on about 4 acres and she has a number of chickens, ducks, and peacocks, and now it appears she has these little guys and they are geese.  

   


17 comments:

  1. The quilt kit project is gorgeous! They are lucky you were willing to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty quilt top! Did you piece that whole center section just this week? Amazing! Cute ducklings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt came out lovely. Those soft colors are wonderfully peaceful. Precious geese (I was going to call them ducks!) 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a beautiful quilt kit, we had Canadian geese when we lived on the lake,the babies were always the sweetest things to watch grow up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new project is beautiful, I love the small squares. I see why they ask you to make it, such small pieces! Sweet colors.
    Cute little geese ;) How are your daughter's beautiful peacocks?
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so cute, geese ducklings! Wonder what you do call baby geese?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh that quilt kit is pretty - you're doing a great job on it. The geese are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really pretty, and you chose wisely to leave those butterflies whole instead of cutting them into 4-patches. I'm sure your friends will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty quilt. It is annoying when a kit is sort of shy with a particular fabric. I hope you are enjoying the making of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable geese! Love the top you are making. What a gift it will be for the recipient! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely quilt. Thanks for sharing in my Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Donnalee, I think that it was the perfect solution for those 2 inch blocks - there's nothing cute about half of a butterfly! That's going to make a great quilt. I sure don't do accuracy well - I'm in awe! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I'm not a fan of kits as I've had some where the fabric provided was very, very stingy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those goslings are too cute, nearly as adorable as the quilt you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty quilt top. Great solution for the 2" butterfly blocks. Cute goslings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt! You did good with those 2" butterfly blocks. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete