On April 13th I posted an idea I had for doing these trees with (Forest Floor by Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics).
Unfortunately I had some real problems with this piecing idea (pictured below). I used Soft Fuse which is a wonderful soft adhesive. However, with all the seams and the trees with all the curves and points it became a real problem. I ended up scrapping that and going for the tree tops done with a single fabric. I also used the regular Steam A Seam heavier adhesive. I adhered it to Essex White Linen. I am hoping with the idea of closely spaced straight stitching quilting I will not even machine appliqué around the tree edges and trunks. I plan to use it for a wall hanging so it will not get much wear and tear, or need washing. I am think about using one of her other prints around the bottom of the tree trunks a grass. Not exactly sure how I plan to get that accomplished yet.
Once again this is a project in continued process. So I am linking up with Brooke of Silly Mama Quilts and The Needle and Thread Network.
love, love the tree fabric!!!ReplyDelete
love your choice of fabric for the trees. I made one of these using selvages for my trees ;)ReplyDelete
Very pretty trees. Too bad you had some challenges.ReplyDelete
Thanks for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday.
Your trees are really cool! I'm new to your blog, so I'm going to go back through your older posts to see if you've written about them before. I'm intrigued!ReplyDelete
I love that your are using the prints for the trees - what a fun idea.ReplyDelete
What an interesting project! You might want to take a look at the appliqué technique in Lara Bucella's new book, Crafted Appliqué - it might solve some of the problems you were having. Very easy, and results in no fraying at all on the edges of an appliqué. Great for complicated pieces!ReplyDelete
love those fabric choices for your trees...ReplyDelete
Great fabric choices for the trees - makes me look at fabric in a whole new way!ReplyDelete