Sunday, March 31, 2024

FABRIC SCRAPS AND WHAT TO DO WITH THEM

 This past week I have been working on dealing with an enormously growing amount of fabric scraps.  Luckily I happened on to a post by Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter discussing Sorting, Saving, and Using Fabric Scraps.  I spent the week doing something about my problem with great results.


I cut up all my scraps by color into some 4 1/2" and 2 1/2" strips and loaded them into plastic containers.  What a chore, but finally I am able to do something constructive with them.

My pink container has both pink and purple strips and yellow/gold and orange that share a container due to those colors that I seem to have less scraps of.  They are 12 inch blocks, and I managed to get 3 blocks of pink and orange and 2 of the purple and yellow/gold without repeating any fabrics on each block.


Blue, red, and green scraps each got 5 blocks each from them.  I have ended up with 25 blocks, a charity quilt is now on its way.  And no those scrap containers are far from empty but at least now I have a good plan to get them into some useful purpose and maybe actually gone. 

Linky Parties on the Side Bar

  


 

  






  

16 comments:

  1. Neat organization, your colorful blocks are pretty and they are going to be a lovely quilt. Pretty scraps in there!
    Thank you for sharing your way to use scraps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be feeling good about taming some of those scraps. Lovely blocks, and in no time at all you have enough for a donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my scraps sorted like you. Makes it a lot easier to use them. Great charity quilt you are making. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks as though you have a handle on this batch of scraps. The blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks great!!! I keep thinking I will do my scraps by color, but then I get a bit obsessed about those that don't quite fit in the right shade... Yours look great and so do the blocks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding a scrap management system that works for you is so helpful. Very fun blocks, looking forward to seeing the scrappy quilt when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! You are saving the fabric from going to the dump and some lucky charity will receive a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the organization and also making blocks from them! My scraps live in 2 gallon zip lock bags. I need to cut them up but I don't because I'm afraid I'll need a larger piece! LOL Oh well! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Brenda my smaller scraps live in ziplocks but they're starting to bust out 🤣 you're scrappy blocks are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for wrangling that scrap beast! These will make great charity quilts. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/03/wednesday-wait-loss-374

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a chore but it is so easier to use up the scraps after they are all stashed properly. I'm in the process of reorganizing my scraps. Far from done as I do one colour per month, but it's okay. It's not a race. You did a great job! Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so great!!! I nee to do that with my scrap bin and get to town on it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also working on scraps and can't believe how many fit in a bin. Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed. That's quite a lot of cutting and organizing you got through.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great idea Donnalee. It does take a lot of time but is totally worth it when it's done. I don't always cut the fabric into strips, but at the very least they go into boxes of like colours. Thanks for sharing this tip with us and linking up to Free Motion Mavericks!

    ReplyDelete