Sunday, February 18, 2024

HEARTS AND STARS

This has been an interesting week.  Between multiple guild meetings at my home and teaching a beginning quilting class to three new students at our local quilt shop, and trying to work on the Sun Bonnet Sue quilt  things have been just CRAZY around here.


I ran into an issue with quilting the Sun Bonnet Sue quilt.  Started 20 years ago and stashed away only to be found last month as a completely forgotten UFO I had sewn buttons on many of the blocks.  How does one quilt it around those?  My solution was to quilt individual heart on the blocks.  Yes, CRAZY!  I knew I was out of my mind, but I have two rows of the 4 done on the quilt and not as bad as I thought it would be.

My solution to dealing with a project that is making me crazy is to     
start a new one that is simpler and easier to deal with.  In my January
reorganization of my sewing room I turned up this half yard fabric bundle.
This pattern came with the fabric.  Easy to deal with.
However, I did not want plain star blocks.  This Free Style Star pattern has been a go to for many of my quilts.  I like the idea of the points being a bit wonky and not worrying about cutting off the points either.  
Block one done, measures 10.5" quilt will be 70" by 70".  A perfect project to rest one's nerves.

Linky Parties on the Side Bar
 

 
                   
  

                                                                                                  




  





13 comments:

  1. Great idea to quilt hearts, so you don't have to unstitch all the buttons ;)) This bundle is beautiful, love the soft colors, and the pattern looks pretty too. Have fun!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for yo host guild meetings and teaching beginners! I’m a fan of these wonky stars as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You came up with a very fun quilting solution for the Sunbonnet Sue blocks. You found some beautiful fabrics hiding in your stash. Enjoy your new project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea for your quilting/avoiding buttons dilemma, pretty hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart way to work around not having to remove the buttons on your Sun Bonnet Sue blocks. The heart quilting looks really nice. Love the fabric choices for your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your work. Wish I was as talented. I love the first two the very best.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like you found a great way to quilt around those buttons! Looking very cute. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/21/wednesday-wait-loss-368

    ReplyDelete
  8. I smiled when I read “ My solution to dealing with a project that is making me crazy is to start a new one that is simpler and easier to deal with.”. Great plan! I like your heart quilting solution for the button issue too. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love that fabric for your get over Sue quilt, lol. Is the fabric new or as old as Sue, sorry I couldn't resist? And the quilt is beautiful, you can send it my way if you like. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Sunbonnet Sue fabrics, buttons are something that I avoid as well as beads on quilts. I always worry that they will break off. Yours looks great. The hearts are the perfect combination for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fabric bundle! That will be a soft, calming quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treat to see Sunbonnet Sue! Always loved her. And I too enjoy that wonky kind of star that takes away some of the dithering when stitching. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete