Friday, November 23, 2018

FABRIC STASH REDUCTION

I have a LOT of fabric.  It is somewhat out of control.  Many of my fabrics are years and years old as well.  Not always what I want to sew with these days for myself.  I have decided I must do something to reduce them.  This is just the front view of two of my closet shelves.  There are 20 piles total on just these two shelves.  Time to do something.    

I belong to a quilt guild that has a charity program that gives over 200 quilts each year to various agencies.  I plan this coming year to make as many top out of this stash in-between doing some things for myself, family, or guild challenges.  Plus it will keep me busy on something that I do not have to keep.  I have enough quilts already for our personal use.  The nice thing is I do not have to quilt what I finish for the program.  All they require is a top and binding.  
So for the start of my first top.  I selected a pattern from Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison.  I only needed three fabrics, but it does look like I will use up all three completely to finish this 50 by 50 inch quilt.  I did discover one thing about this pattern.  I had to draw out my own individual blocks instructions to make the 10.5 unfinished block sizes.  There is not an exact pattern to make each block, and each one of them is different in their layout.  Graph paper really worked well.  I drew out 11 different layouts and that should set me up to make the 25 blocks I will need.  
Row one done.
And now two rows done as well.


10 comments:

  1. Hi DonnaleeQ! I love that your bestie always posts - you two just make me smile. What a fabulous idea!! A very worthy cause, a way to use up your fabrics that you paid good money for, and it will allow you room for some new fabric should you encounter some that you just NEED. How is that for a win/win/win?!! Love it. Happy Happy Friday! I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of quilts. My local guild also makes a lot of quilts but more in the 130 a year range. We accept both quilt tops and complete quilts. It's wonderful isn't it to use up fabric for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I've also been going through my stash and looking at it with new eyes to what I need to do with it. It's been fun stretching myself to find ways to use it. Wonderful that your guild donates so may quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel burdened by the size of my stash, too! I applaud your effort to use what you got, putting that yardage on hand to make something beautiful and useful to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my don't we all have too much fabric! Good for you for using them in a charitable way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plan to use your older fabric. I try hard to make several charity quilts a year. Actually, I usually make more charity quilts than quilts for family and friends. Keep up the good work. Easy quilts are the fastest way to use your stash up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you get the fun of making the top while others can sleep under the quilt, what a fabulous deal :) The piecing is always my favorite part. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! So very generous of you. Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward.

    ReplyDelete