Tuesday, September 26, 2017

STAR BLAZER

I finally have my Star Blazer top done.  The paper piecing was my first attempt and came out really well.  The second side was much more of a challenge.  The pattern I had did not give directions for making it.  I was on my own.  
I did run into a small problem.  My point on the bottom did not allow for the seam.  I had to adjust the straight seam on the right.  Next the star was a little too short for the paper pieced side, so I had to add a small piece on the top and the bottom. 
At last it was sewn together.  Just to trim the left side, cut a back for it and batting.  Next on to quilting it.  It is my Modern Quilt small group project.  The assignment was to use triangles and use quilting that is not straight lines.  This should be tons of fun.  Even after a four day class on free motion quilting I still have not got the real hang of it.  

13 comments:

  1. Love this...what is the finished size?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi DonnaleeQ,
    What a cute quilt top and pattern. I love your fabric choices. I haven't done paper piecing for years. You did a fabulous job! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mixture of pieced and paper pieced in this. Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I can't believe a pattern wouldn't tell you how to do the striped star half?! You did a beautiful job and thanks for sharing your trials and how you solved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fabrics you used for yours! I'm not sure where you got your version of the pattern. I promise I included instructions for both halves, and they did, in fact, align properly without having to add extra strips. Please let me know when you finish it - looks great!

      Delete
  5. I love the finished top. It's a nice, fun design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those geese, you did good! Don't be too hard on yourself about the FMQ-it takes time to feel comfortable with it, just practice as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting design. It will be nice to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it!!

    always enjoy seeing what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! Don't give up on the free motion quilting - it just takes time! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the colours in this, I'm very much a rainbow girl. Thanks for linking to Sew Stitch Snap Share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way of using triangles - its looking fab! Just relax into the quilting - the more you enjoy it the better you'll get!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool combination of blocks! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete