Sunday, August 18, 2024

COWGIRLS, AM FLIGHT, AND WOLVES

 I have not been able to accomplish much of anything this past week.  I think I am just not very inspired for some reason.  I did teach a class of 5 beginning  quilters at our local quilt shop.  That was fun and things went really well and they did really well.  I think finding the 1/4" seam on all the different sewing machine models seems to be one of the hardest things and cutting fabric.  


A couple of months ago I made this quilt for my charity group that was needed for a fundraiser auction.  I finished Lucky Cowgirl pictured above in May.
A few weeks ago the charity group found more of the fabric and wanted a second one made, as the first one was such a big hit.  So I am back to making this pattern again.  Fabric choices are different than the first one and the first one was a challenge making those hats in the four corners so this one has been a breeze to do.
I have managed one more Morning Flight block.  Most the smallest blocks are done so have to get myself in gear to working on the large blocks now.  The project seems to be going on forever.
I hope to get started on this quilt top.  Lots of fussy cutting with this fabric.  I managed to cut out 3 of the large blocks and 9 of the smaller blocks, 3 each of the different scenes.  Making charity quilts for boys is always a challenge.  This fabric ended up being a real prize.  I have another fabric with just darker background and wolves that I hope to fussy cut and make another quilt top for the charity group.  

Linky Parties on the Side Bar  


  


 
  

13 comments:

  1. I like that wolf fabric. The cowgirl quilt is pretty. I am fussy cutting too and it takes time. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy with three quilts in the works. The morning flight block turned out beautifully. I really like you choice of background for those blocks. It's very different. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fussy cutting adds something special to a quilt. Your applique' is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, cowgirls and wolves are a great theme for charity quilts! No wonder the first was such a success, Cowgirl is a beauty. I remember the issue about hats, now you master them! Your appliqué blocks are beautiful too, this is the kind of project that takes long to complete. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wolf fabric is really great, and should make a wonderful boy quilt. Fussy cutting earns it's name - so fussy! The cowgirl quilt is so cute so I can see why it's a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, teaching new quilters! I agree, accuracy in cutting and in seaming are crucial and it's good that you are making sure your newbies have a good foundation in those areas. Your birdie appliqué is so sweet. The Sewjo Motivation comes and goes; Lucky Cowgirl looks wonderful BTW. Someone who receives it will feel lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them all, but the first and third are my favorites.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful that you are making a charity quilt for a boy! They just don't seem to be made often for some reason. Love that wolf fabric--it's perfect! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/08/21/wednesday-wait-loss-394

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you got a lot done to me! Charity quilts for boys are hard. There are a lot more floral fabrics out there than sports and manly animal fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not surprised you were asked to make a second cowgirl quilt. It looks like quite the crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why that Cowgirl quilt was such a hit! Be gentle with yourself. It looks to me like you accomplished loads!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Donnalee, that is a great cowgirl quilt - no wonder it was a hit! Good luck with the second one and thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete