Sunday, July 28, 2024

APPLIQUE AND THREAD

 I have had a really productive week with my 2 appliqué projects.  Our weather has been extremely hot this past week.  Most days the temperatures were hovering around 108 to 110 so staying in doors is the smart thing to do.  My sewing room has a ceiling fan and the AC is on.  Likely the bill will look like the national debt, but this is life here in the summer months.   


Morning Flight has progressed really well over this past week.  The large block on the bottom row is the replacement from the previous one that had the background with the wording upside down. I finally received replacement background fabric and remade it.  Plus was able to get the next two blocks of that row done as well.  

The first William Morris block was replaced by this one.  I originally planned on using invisible thread but was not happy with the results.  So ended up scrapping it and remaking it with some different fabrics as well and now I am doing the appliqués with colored thread matching the appliqué pieces.

I must admit that using colored thread requires an awful lot of thread.  I seem to be a regular visiter to both JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby for polyester colored thread.  Plus tons of bobbins.  I match both top and bobbin thread for each appliqué piece.  I prefer Gutermann's which JoAnn's carries except they do not stock their shelves very well and so Hobby Lobby's thread is a good substitute, and in a real pinch I occasionally use Coats & Clark.

Linky Parties on the Side Bar




   
  

17 comments:

  1. Lovely blocks. It does take a lot of thread when you match the thread to the fabric during appliqué. Looks like you have a great start.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are looking terrific....when i started doing serious applique invested in a bunch of individual bobbins from superior thread and also becky goldsmith's blog...you could buy individual colors then...now i think they are packaged either 4-6 to a small bag...but i have enough and if i need a color, just go to my 50 wt auriful which works...most of what i use are 60 wt and not about to replace all with 80 wt...nope...they work for me...not going for museum quality...

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnn's seems to be having a lot of supply issues lately. I've noticed the same thing at my local one. Your applique is lovely. I like the variety of prints on the background fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blocks! Finding thread can be hard here. Hobby Lobby has cut back so much on their sewing stuff that it's almost not worth looking there these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket stitched appliqué is gorgeous, Donnalee! I've purchased thread assortments in the past when I needed a range of colors for a project, kind of like a box of crayons coordinated to my fabrics, but I guess you need to luck out in finding a kit of threads to go with your fabrics and I probably got mine at a quilt shop and not at JoAnn's. The good news is that once you build up that assortment of threads in colors that go with your favorite fabrics, the spools tend to last a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just in my local Joann's today and the amount of empty spaces on the shelves has me worried. Your applique is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Flight is so pretty! I too prefer to use matching thread rather than invisible because I love the look. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/07/31/wednesday-wait-loss-391

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice applique blocks. I like the bird in the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty, Morning Flight is growing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your buttonhole stitch on the appliqué. It is my favorite to do, also. Your blocks are lovely. I look forward to seeing then sewn together. I agree with you about stayilng inside in the AC when it is so brutally hot and humid. Aren't we lucky that we have this wonderful hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is WAY to hot!!!! we need an outside cool off!! Love your blocks - keep staying cool

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blocks look great! I gave up on Joann's for thread. They never have what I need. I usually hit Walmart for basic threads. They have quite a good selection for a store with no real fabric and they charge less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your projects are moving along nicely! Staying indoors is one way to beat the heat...my preferred way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blocks are beautiful! It's quite fun to match the threads, but yes, require a lot of spools! I like to look at all the thread stands I can see in stores, and buy a color I don't think I own ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Donna, I've learned the hard way to mostly match the top and bobbin thread. Sometimes I can get away with using thread of the same value. I have a small bag of mostly empty spools that I need to take to Fabricland to either match or get the same one of. Not one of my favourite tasks. Your projects look great! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful progress. Thank you for linking up with Favorite Finish.

    ReplyDelete