Sunday, April 21, 2024

APPLIQUE AGAIN AND BIRD OF PARADISE

 This past week has been nice and quiet with very little on my to-do list to accomplish.  I vowed to set appliqués projects aside for a while.  That didn't happen.  I have pulled out a kit hiding away in a drawer and started working on it and added another that I really do need to start working on as well.

These pieces are tiny.  I did talk myself into doing 1/4" bias vines.  I have always avoided them and used 3/8" for them, but this block at just under 9" by 11" needed the small vines.  Not sure why I have avoided them all these years, as they were not nearly as difficult to master as I thought they would be.  

This is the kit pattern, I don't expect this to be finished in a very long time.  The entire quilt is only 35" by 45" so some blocks are really small.  

This project is on more of a priority list.  It will be a wedding gift for a family member.  No real hurry as I have time, but do know that in the next year or two it will be needed.  It will be king size, so these 10.5 inch blocks are a start to the 100 needed.  Figure to make a few each month, off and on.  

Now here is a master piece.  Our Bird of Paradise is in full swing.  Never have we seen this many blooms on it.  Seems our recent amount of rain this spring has made it very happy to show off.   

Linky Parties on the Side Bar  







13 comments:

  1. Very ambitious projects, one small and one large. Enjoy your stitching time on each. Gorgeous Bird of Paradise blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous applique project. This new one is as pretty as the birds. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The appliqué is so pretty—and I especially like how the flowers look on the patterned background. Thanks for sharing the bird of paradise—where I live, we only see them at the florist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my - that Bird of Paradise is just gorgeous! Wow! Your applique skills are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this Morning Flight pattern looks terrific, such pretty tiny flowers! Love your weeding project too, it's going to be a quilt full of love ;)
    Beautiful real flowers too!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work and a beautiful bird of paradise plant. Wow.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Morning Flight pattern. Have to admit all those little pieces would have scared me away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that applique kit, Donnalee! I really love the background fabric in this first one. Looks like a fun quilt even if it does have tiny pieces. Hopefully they won't be too hard to work with! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Donnalee, you may as well admit that you love appliqué projects and just keep at them lol! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the background fabric in the applique blocks, it's going to be lovely. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete