Monday, November 15, 2021

RED BIRDS IMPROV AND GEESE

This past week has just been spent working on my improv mini quilt project.  I don't usually work so continuously on one project at a time, but this one has really ended up being just so much fun to do.
I am up to quilting it with a very dense serpintine stitch diagonally across the quilt in the two different directions of the birds positions.  I did try something I had never done before.  Normally I use large straight pins or spray baste to hold the top, batting, and back together while I quilt.  Spray baste has to be done outside, too cold right now and the patio table is too dusty and dirty to bother with cleaning it up.  I kept gouging myself with the pins as I quilted it and feared bleeding on it.  So I decided to breakout my quilting safety pins.  I had never used them or even given them a try.  Makes one wonder why I even had them stashed away.  Well, my close friend, Brooke, uses them all the time and I figured well let's just give them a try.  Goes to show you can still teach an old dog new tricks.  Works great!
Yes, lots and lots of quilting and I used red thread with the same quilting pattern on the birds.  
I managed to get three sides of the border on my Alex Anderson project.  I am still amazed at how well this pieces has fit together.  However, I have run out of Foundation Paper.  I like the Carol Doak's paper, which I order from Amazon.  It has the consistancy of newspaper print.  I do have a few of the translucent type paper, but find the ink from the printer tends to smear off on my hands as I work on the paper piecing.  It had not appeared to transfer to the fabric, but I do worry about that.  Getting the smears off my fingers takes a bit of vigerous scrubbing, not sure if it got on the fabric it would come out.  Guess, best to order Carol's and wait for it to arrive. 




   


22 comments:

  1. Oh what charming cardinals on that lovely scrappy background--really nice work...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat project. I actually got a package of foundation paper from someone getting rid of their stash. I've been collecting FP patterns for a while, but I've been too chicken to give them a try. Maybe after my current project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome projects!!
    glad you liked the safety pins!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your improv quilt made me smile and brought a lump to my throat at the same time. Cardinals are the favorite bird of a relative who has passed away....thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your red birds of a feather mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love your cardinals quilt, and your serpentine looks so pretty on it. I really love the scrappy background. I like Carol Doak foundation papers too; hope yours comes soon! Sometimes I spray baste AND use the quilt pins but I haven't tried just the pins - hmmmm.
    Thank you for linking to To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cardinals on the mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful mini! It's good to see how you did the low-volume background. I always fret that there's too much pattern in the pieces. But everything goes so well in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cardinals are adorable. I wonder why they look so familiar:-D May I suggest including a link to Kelly's book in your blogpost, so that others can find it. I love serpentine quilting. It has been my lifesaver. Looking forward to your Alex Anderson project. It is already beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna Lee, those cardinals on an improv background look great! I mostly use safety pins now to hold the sandwich down. I found the spray too fiddly...it needs to be perfect or there are puckers. Good luck with your paper piecing. It's so colourful. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your birds - they're perfect for wintertime

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. both of them. I couldn't pick just one tho if I had to because I love them equally. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bird quilt turned out beautifully as I knew it would. Congratulations on such a gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh that serpentine stitch looks great on this one!!!
    and the geese - they just add to the beauty!!
    Thanks for also linking up with Finished ( or not) friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your birds quilt is terrific! I too am a Carol Doak foundation paper fan. Your Alex Anderson project is looking great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your birds quilt, it's wonderful!
    Kisses from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Carol Doaks paper as well! Worth waiting for. Love your two projects--especially those birds! So wintery and beautiful. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your red birds are beautiful! What a fun project. Hopefully there are no supply chaing or mail man problems and you can get your papers in a timely manner. It's frustrating to be so close, but yet so far from finishing. I was all ready to send out a quilt for quilting only to find I didn't have the right size batting.

    ReplyDelete