After getting my Covid Insanity quilt finished I decided to really get busy and see if I could get my Alex Anderson's paper pieced project finished up and move on the getting the Flower Garden going again.I have been surprised at how well this piece has gone together. All those points that I hoped to not cut off and get all those blocks to match up was expected to be a real trial. The top went together without a hitch. Now for lots and lots of flying geese for the outside border.
Now I know that I should be getting back to finishing my Flower Garden quilt, but this new book I bought was calling me to indulge in a little Mini quilt.I have a hard time resisting birds. This project was just too interesting to pass up.Now improv piecing is something I have a bit of an issue with. My brain doesn't work that way. The top right and left of the quilt's blocks and the bottom left and right of the quilt blocks are pieced improv separately. Then one works on the birds blocks. Each block was a different size. Only way I could manage it was to make myself a pattern for each one. I know crazy, but it works for me.
So I managed the first 4.5 by 12.5 block with no problems at all.And the 7.5 by 12.5 block and the 6.5 by 12.5 block are done as well. Just the final one at 9.5 by 12.5 to go. Yes, it does make for a bit of a mess to put away once done. But I will need these plus either red or dark blues fabric pieces for the birds. I have not quite made up my mind what color I would like them to be.