Monday, January 6, 2020

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

I usually each year vow to make a New Year's Resolution to finish UFO's stored away in my sewing studio closet.  That usually last only a couple weeks then I just go on my merry way starting and maybe finishing various projects.  However, this year I hope to be more successful in actually doing something about the multiple UFO's I have hanging around.  
For about the last three years I have invested in a  Quilter's Planner.  I worked for nearly 40 years as a controller for a large church and preschool through grade 12 school.  I kept an extensive planner to keep things moving smoothly.   Once I retired I sort of decided that a planner would help me keep a handle on my quilting projects.
I have resolved myself this year to work more in finishing up UFO's and also try not to start too many projects without at least finishing up an equal amount or more.  Plus keep track of my charity quilt goals as well.  
The first thing this new year I pulled out this project.  The blocks are large 20 inches.  The pattern had 12 of these blocks, one for each month.  I prepared 4 and decided I was done.  I did get this first one appliquéd down with a small zigzag stitch.  
 


The last three will need to be appliquéd now.  
The plan is to join them with a lattice, borders, and binding of this lime green fabric.  Then it will be donated to my charity division of my guild.  
For the fans of pictures of my daughter's pets I thought you might enjoy a picture of my youngest grandson Ben and a little bit of duck love.  Her name is Peaches.  
And for those of you that remember the kitty in the white Christmas tree.  No the tree did not survive!  After daily plucking that guy out of her tree, and worried he would strangle in the light wires if she was not at home she opted for this as a replacement.  He still looks like he is considering climbing up it, but she said he decided it just was not worth bothering with it.  



10 comments:

  1. Hi Donnalee! I love the whole idea of finishing up your UFOs. A friend, Gail at Quilting Gail, is hosting a UFO party for the year. If you have at least 12 that you'd like to finish, you should check it out. Just for the encouragement, etc. maybe?! Anyway, I'm smiling at the way that kitty is looking at that shell of a tree. And I'm smiling even MORE at your grandson, Ben, and Peaches. Peaches is my nickname - not that anyone knows that. Oh yes, planners. I adore all things like planners - calendars - papers ones were great but now I have to use a mobile one. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - and thanks for linking up!! I forgot (again). Plus, your four blocks look great - that's a good sized quilt already! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and I love your youngest grandson with his duck Peaches. That's adorable.

    Kitties and Christmas trees. Some don't bother with them at all and others are terrors.

    I love your blocks. Wow, that's going to be beautiful.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Flourishes fabrics are gorgeous. I know the patterns will sell well on eBay, if you decide to do that. I have six more to go and hope to get at least 3 done this year. It isn't what I'd call a fast project. LOL I would have to check to be sure, but I think I have three of your four done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those pretty flower blocks you're working on. They'll make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandson is very handsome. The applique blocks are gorgeous, I am confident you will get this one all sewn into a wonderful quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down. BTW, the destructive kitty would have a new home outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful appliqué blocks! Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are pretty flower blocks - hopefully they will sew up quickly and you can move them along to someone who will love them. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your daughter's menagerie - looks like your grandson enjoys the animals, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the planner. Sounds like you're used to working with one so hopefully it will keep you on track. The applique blocks are really pretty and someone will be lucky to receive it. Keep those animal pics coming too --- that kitty cracked me up. Naughty, naughty. I've got one of those at home too! Lol!

    ReplyDelete