I got a SOS from my guild's charity division this last week and there is an urgent need for more quilts for boys. It seems to be true that so many of our quilts are for girls. So I dug into my scrap bins to see what was available.
I also dug around in the closet for some pattern ideas and came across this book. Oh my, one of the first quilts I ever made was out of this book. Now that was some time back in the early 90's, the book was published in 1988. I wonder what ever happened with that quilt. The one thing I really like about this book is that all the patterns in it use small scraps of fabrics. It is perfect for using up those scrap bin leftovers.
I started with these fabrics. I love that red, however, I made a mistake. The finished 9 patches will be 4.5 inches, so I cut the red blocks 4.5 inches. They need to be 5 inches to finish at 4.5. I used up all that red scrap.
So I substituted with this red. At this point things look pretty good.
Now I am thinking that red is a bit much. I have more of it so maybe I can introduce it into the next row or two or replace it for something not so bright. I guess I will just have to continue on and see how things go. Once I see how things go together, maybe a blue quilt version from that book will be a good idea as well.