A few months ago I decided to try a block I saw on Maureen Cracknell's blog site. It did not go well. I just could not get the blocks to properly line up.
I finally gave up and decided on a different layout. You can see the results today on my Featured Post. That quilt is now at the quilters and I can't wait until it comes back home. However, I just could not get this whole idea of this particular pattern out of my mind and I went on a hunt to solve the problem.
I cut my strips, organizing my stash really helped me see what was available without buy a single piece of fabric.
On my search of the internet I realized I had gone about the first try all wrong. The pattern is a Braided Block. I now knew my size I needed and actually how to accomplish it.
And here is my first block complete. They are so easy. The strips are nine inches long by 3 inches wide.
Once I decided on the size, 7.5 by 14, I cut a template for my self and marked the center to line up with the center of the block. Yes there is lots of wasted fabric. I probably could cut the strips a bit smaller maybe 8 inches instead.
And row one is done. I am not sure yet whether to make 5 or 6 rows. Right now the width is 63 inches wide. 5 rows makes it 67.5 inches long, so I am thinking about 6 rows at 81 inches long. It will be somewhat of a matching quilt for the original quilt I made. Great for cuddling on the sofa or recliner in the winter evenings.