Sunday, May 5, 2024

QUILT KIT MISHAPS

This past week I attended my usual charity group and was asked if I would make a quilt from a donated kit that could be used as an auction quilt for one of the agencies we work with.  Over the last two years I have sewn 2 previously for the group.  I enjoy doing it and since I was asked again figure they must be happy with my work.


The kit came with the pattern Wanna Be A Cowboy, and the fabric matched the pattern, but the Lucky Cowgirl pattern was also tucked in with it.  

However there was a problem.  I went over the pattern requirements and discovered that there were a number of fabrics missing in order to complete the Wanna Be A Cowboy quilt.  In fact, many of the pieces that were there had more fabric than required.  I know that kits sometimes modify the fabric, but after a good couple hours it was easy to see that the intended pattern was not going to work.  So no real choice it was going to be the Lucky Cowgirl pattern.  I do love appliqué so did not upset me and frankly was my personal preferred choice.  

I got the nine center blocks completed and the first appliqué on the center block of the quilt.  This is going to be fun. 

Our little Yorkshire Terrier Zoey has found that the early morning sun at this time of year comes in from a window above our fireplace.  It shines for about half an hour every morning on the end of the sofa, just enough for her to get a brief sunbath.  This dog's life is good!  

 
Linky Parties on the Side Bar

 
   


 

13 comments:

  1. This new project is going to be cute! Fun fabrics, I love the prints ;) This center block is perfect.
    Cute Zoey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cowboy hat is really cute. Good luck with the rest of the blocks. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute plans, and even cuter doggo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lucky Cowgirl quilt is going to be so very cute! Love the hats appliqued on the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that cowgirl quilt. That's most beautiful. Wow.

    Zoey is most adorable.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. Scritches to Zoey. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun start to your quilt!!! This is going to be a great quilt for an auction! Zoey is brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute photo! I have never used a kit so thankfully have never run into that issue. It will be an adorable quit when done. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who doesn’t love a pink cowgirl hat? A nap in the sun makes a very happy Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute pattern with big pieces. It should sew up quick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thing you are flexible! It's pretty obvious they kitted that wrong. Love the Lucky Cowgirl quilt so it should serve as a great fundraiser for that charity. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/05/08/wednesday-wait-loss-379

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's going to be a lovely quilt. Zoey is so cute, Loki's fave spot for sunbathing is on the front porch. Unfortunately working from home doesn't allow me to sit outside with him during the day, which means he cant enjoy the sun as much as he'd like. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Donna, good luck with your kit. I've had a couple of kits that were far from perfect and the project had to be rethought. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete