After doing a bit of reorganization in the sewing room, with the discovery of a complete take over of overflowing scrap bins and folder fabrics in the closet I decided my New Year's resolution was to get some charity quilts going. I only have to do a top and prepare bindings then others take over from there. My guild distributes about 300 quilts a year through their Warm Wrappings Program to 5 different local agencies. Some of us make the tops and binding, others in the group with long arm machines do the quilting, and then a crew of others bind and finish the binding on them. In October they are distributed to the various agencies.This is one I finished up this past week.
The fabric used for the centers was a real prize to use for this quilt. However not without an issue. I needed 25 blocks and thought I had them all complete until while laying them out I was short one. OK, a made search in the fabric closet and the center block a perfect addition to cure that issue. I even had enough of that butterfly fabric to make a runner for my youngest daughter's sister-in-law for her birthday.And yes, the scrappy Christmas quilt top is finished too. My original plan was also to give it as a charity quilt top, but husband really likes it and says it will look great next Christmas on the dining room wall. So, it is a keeper.A fast scramble into Joann's for a back and binding while they still had some 70% off Christmas fabric on clearance and it is off to the quilter this week.