Monday, July 26, 2021

APPLIQUE PROGRESS, SCRAP INSANITY, AND A DOG'S LIFE

 It has been a couple weeks now of VERY HOT weather.  The only thing to do is stay in the house with the air conditioner on.  However, it makes for some progress in the sewing room.  Not much one can do about it except for walk the dog in the early morning, before 8am for sure, while it is still below 80, and suffer through with a bit of housework here and there.  

The last blossom is going on my hand appliqué runner.  One more center piece and another leaf and it is ready to get on some batting and a back and start quilting it.

I am not sure how to quilt it.  I do expect to put some veins on the leaves, other than that I don't know yet.  The binding will be the same green as the bias vines. 

This pile of 6.5 by 1.5 inch strips are all ready to add to the last 40 blocks in a very scrappy quilt.  I am bound and determined to rid myself of a good deal of small scrap fabrics.  This seems to be doing the trick, well maybe.  I will admit that no matter how much you cut fabric up and attempt to use it up somehow it multiplies and you end of with just as much as you stared with.  

Here are the finished blocks.  They measure 6.5 inches square.  I have 60 blocks done so just another 40 to go to finish a 60 by 60 inch scrap quilt.  And no I have no idea what why I am doing this. 

This is Zoey now, our 4 1/2 month old Yorkshire Terrier puppy.  She has grown a good deal since we got her in June at 8 weeks old.  She is very much in the need for a haircut.  

As you can see, she makes herself right at home.  An afternoon nap on the sofa with the ceiling fan on high, and the air conditioner running is truly a dog's life.

 
 

 



 





19 comments:

  1. I love your applique project. I really need to try applique next year after I catch up my current queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little applique runner...so pretty!!
    Zoey is so cute;))) Hugs from my recliner, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your runner is beautiful. Would you want to use the lines of the borders and sew diagonals across the background fabric? I bet there would be a bit of stop and start though. And hopefully the lines would match up with the borders. Our weather vacillates between 90s and high humidity for several days and then it drops in the mid 80s and the humidity goes away. Those days are a nice break from the humid, hot days we're having. Enjoy the AC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs always know how to find the most comfortable place in the home. Zoey is lovely. I've always thought quilting a super tedious craft to perfect. I have great admiration for those who do it. My leftovers from sewing eventually made their way into the trash can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A typical sofa dog! Got one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little Zoey is adorable! Your appliqué runner looks great and I'm curious to see how you'll use those scrap blocks, as my own scrap bins are overflowing and I'm on the prowl for scrap quilt ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are most talented.

    Zoey is most adorable. A little love bug.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely runner! Can't wait to see it quilted. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heehee, Zoey is adorable. Have you tried anything for detangling yet? Loki just went Monday for his second set of puppy shots at 11 wks. He still isn't 2#'s but getting close. I love your floral runner. Heat and humidity is awful here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm interested to see what your black and white scrappy blocks will become. The table runner is lovely, I havent done any hand applique myself. And as for Zoey, isnt she just so cute, and the puppy has settled in to her new home so well, it seems. It certainly is a dogs life, or in my case, a cats life, they always find the most comfy spots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess it's my age telling on me, but those scraps look too small for me to ever work with! You will make something wonderful from them, I know.

    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That applique is beautiful!! Great job working on that scrap pile! Why do we do it? Because it's there! Zoey is totally adorbs!!! I bet she's a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That applique is just so pretty!! I love watching it grow!
    and your scraps - you always just have to work with scraps - even if you don;'t know why haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's like you're possessed by the Spirit of the Scrap Quilt Making and you're powerless to resist! :-). Your Zoey is adorable and the appliqué runner looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your applique project is beautiful. I need to work on mine. I need to prep more and am stalled. Zoey is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your hand applique continues to be an inspiration to me! What a great idea for those scrappy strips!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scraps do have a life of their own. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable runner - I'd suggest a stipple in the background, and details in the flowers. Maybe a straight line design in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely appliqué runner, the green binding is going to be perfect. Sweet Zoey, she is a big girl now!
    Thank you for sharing and linking up ❤️

    ReplyDelete