Well this past week has finally solved the guild's mystery quilt lay out problem. I finished my guild mystery quilt, squared it up and then received this correction.
Yes, the original layout given was not correct.The big question was do I fix the lay out. Well, I thought about it and came up with an absolutely NO! It would involve ripping out four rows, six blocks and I just am not going to do that. Once it is quilted I think it we look OK. Now, however, as I put this up on my blog I am having a great deal of misgivings. Not sure maybe I will fix it after all!To sooth my misgivings about his whole mystery delemi I decided to search through my UFO piles. I bought this kit while on a mini vacation in the spring of 2019. Yep, two years ago. Smart me for a change after this week's madness, all the needed supplies, thread, and even fusible interfacings and fleece are in with it in the storage container. I had cut out all the pieces and that was as far as I got before something else caught my eye. This seemed like a great thing to escape my creative problems.
The pattern calls for using vinyl for the pockets, I did modify that to this mesh instead. I happened to have the nice matching blue color and thought it would be fun to use it instead. The pattern calls for this tape to use when securing the vinyl to the zippers. I had never used this before. I am a huge fan! This was great stuff and a great solution when pins or even clips get in the way.All the pockets are on and the inside of the tool kit is complete. Yes, a bit fussy but the directions are absolutely right on. I am excited to finish it up.
My husband called to me to come out into the yard to see the pretty flowers we had growing. I called out and said pick a couple and put them in a vase. He said no come see. They are chive seed blossoms. Actually really pretty too. They will seed them selves and we have fresh chives growing all year long.
so fun to see what you are up to!ReplyDelete
don't unsew that quilt!
That Wonder Tape stuff is also great for turning up hems on fine knits like rayon jersey before cover stitching them on a serger, because it prevents the narrow hem from curling up as you're trying to sew. Thanks for reminding me about this product! As for your quilt layout -- honestly? Maybe the layout mistake is a bigger deal for other versions of this quilt in different colors/values/prints. In your quilt, the orientation of those units looks deliberately random and well-balanced. It looks beautiful and intentional just the way it is. I'm not sure that all of the work of taking it apart and redoing it according to the revised layout would actually make it a better or more successful quilt, you know what I mean? It would only give you the satisfaction of knowing that you "followed the directions." Even so you DID follow the directions, right?ReplyDelete
I'm not sure I would take out the quilt....I thought it was so pretty before I read your post....Love those colors!ReplyDelete
Oh, your tool bag looks fun!
Ok. You've convinced me to grow some chives! We love them, but I didn't know they reseeded themselves! Thank you so much for sharing!
Glad you found the issue. I have tons of those chives growing and love them but a heads-up: they can be invasive! I've started cutting the flowers off (and bring some in for enjoyment) because those little black seeds will go EVERYwhere! They don't pull well either because the plants are so fragile that they break off. Now, all that aside, I use the chives all the time. I also dry them for use during the winter and, using a mini-chopper, I'll turn some into powder to flavor homemade ranch dressings, etc. Is that basil growing in the left pot, too? Hoping after this last freeze I can now start on mine.ReplyDelete
Looks so very complicated to me. I just don't have a crafty bone in my body. I sure wish I did.ReplyDelete
Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥
I am so sorry they sent the solution to late to help you. But I would rip it out and fix it because it would bother me later. Whatever you choose to do though will be the right choice for you! Thanks for sharing your quilt top and your zipper project on Wednesday Wait Loss.ReplyDelete
That Wonder Tape sounds like a wonder! I "wonder" if it would work better than my glue stick on some of my projects.ReplyDelete
So frustrating. Regardless of what you decide it will look great.ReplyDelete
It sure looks like a lot of work to take the quilt apart but sometimes you have to do the hard part for peace of mind. Your gadgets look like a great tool for you.ReplyDelete
Your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week is a wonderful addition!
Wonder tape works perfectly with smock dresses too. So the pleats stay crisp while sewing the yoke to the skirt. Putting in zippers on winter jackets, priceless. No pins required.ReplyDelete
Thanks for the tip about Wonder Tape, Donna!! I just recently bought some vinyl for a project. That tape should help!ReplyDelete