This week has been filled with construction of a fence in our yard and having our wood deck torn out and to be replaced. Not the best time of year to be doing something like this. But when the contractor says he is ready to do the job, there you are. So not much sewing done this week, busy making decisions on what materials to use, and do some holiday baking instead.A month or so ago I purchased a couple more of the Garden Patch Cat patterns to do some wall/table toppers for one of my daughter's cat rescue group. They were half price so I decided to buy these two and one more. The first Pumpkin Cat I did was so much fun I decided to try a couple more for her.
Of the three this one I decided to work on first. They are just too cute. I have all the appliqué done. Now just to spray baste it to the batting and back then quilt and bind. I did try something different for the eyes this time. My original Pumpkin Cat had the black part of the eyes appliquéd down with black fabric and for the white accent I used beads. This time I decided on black two hole buttons and tiny white two hole buttons. I just set the white ones on top of the black sewed through both with white thread. I liked the results much better and easier than appliqué on such tiny pieces.
Saturday my granddaughter and I tackled the Baklava. It is a two person job and takes two days. We ended up with two large trays. Sunday morning they had set overnight in their honey/sugar/lemon baths and got their whole clove decoration. We finished cutting them and boxed them up for family and friends. We tackled 3 dozen decorated sugar cookies most of which I sent home with my granddaughter Suren. I still have another chilled sugar cookie dough in the refrigerator to get baked later this week. My daughter's cats have a fascination for the Hanukkah candles. Now the worry is that they don't set their tails on fire or knocks them over.