Tuesday, May 14, 2019

HOME FROM A MISSISSIPPI RIVER BOAT CRUISE

We have just returned from a Mississippi River Boat Cruise.  Time to get back to the quilt studio, but getting the wash, mail sorted, and grocery shopping takes a day or two.  
Wonderful food, entertainment, and tours.  
Here I am on the porch of Oak Alley sugarcane plantation.  Beautiful pre Civil War home.
No matter where we go I seem to be able to find a quilt or two.  This is an example of a pre Civil War quilt made by slaves on one of the plantations.
This quilt in remarkable condition was seen at a cotton plantation that has been operating sense the 1790's through today. 
This quilt pattern is Solomon's Puzzle.  Having recently done a quilt with drunkard's path blocks I am thinking I would like to do a small wall hanging with this pattern myself.  I really like the layout.  


12 comments:

  1. We were just there too! Loved the paddleboat up the Mississippi River!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donnalee! I have always wanted to take one of the riverboat cruises. I hope you write a post with more details - how did you like your cabin? Were there a lot of people onboard, and did you get to see as much of the ports as you wished? I know they give you just a taste so you want to visit again. How cool! Love that porch on the plantation. It looks like it was cool enough to wear a jacket. I would have expected it to be warmer. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilts, and Solomon's Puzzle is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We quilters see quilts wherever we go whether it's actual quilts, floor tiles, or whatever. Looks a like you had a good time and I too would like more details from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so fun!
    love the older quilts!
    glad you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, how fun! Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the historic quilts. I'm smitten with the Solomon's Puzzle as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoyed your photos of the vintage quilts! That puzzle one is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing what looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great cruise, and lovely to see the old quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your Riverboat tour with us!! Those old quilt are SEW sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful hand stitched quilts... thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cruise sounds like a wonderful time! I would enjoy seeing the plantations and old quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The paddleboat looks so fun! And those quilts are just amazing. Wow!

    ReplyDelete