Saturday, March 16, 2019

BACK TO CHARITY QUILT MAKING

I am back to making charity quilt tops again.  I have set a goal of at least 2 quilt tops and hopefully 3 each month for 2019.  Thus far I have delivered 10 in the first three months of this year to Warm Wrappings 



These blocks are finished in 5 variations of the back ground for a total of 20 blocks.  Just need to sew them into rows.  
And the first block started for the next quilt top.
But, first this chore must be done.  Why is it that when you buy sheets for the bed the top sheet is so wide that it hangs below the quilt.  I finally gave up cut off 7 inches and re-hemmed the side of our green top sheet.  I hoped that this blue set's top sheet would not have to have that done.  Well, it needs a good 4 inches cut off.  A real pain.  Unfortunately our summer blanket has the same problem.  Just does not make sense, as our mattress requires 18 to 20 deep pocket fitted sheets, but still the top sheets are way too wide. 
   

8 comments:

  1. That's such a wonderful goal! Those blocks will make a pretty quilt for someone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE that GREEN on cream floral print!! Your blocks are SEW sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your getting free quilt fabric from your sheets. The block colors are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good afternoon! I just LOVE your blocks for the charity quilt. Goodness, that will be gorgeous when it is all together. I cannot wait to see it!! And sheets - I understand your frustration. It bugs me to no end when sheets hang out from a quilt. I always put the length to the side where no one can see it. That works out to my advantage also as that's my side of the bed, and I like lots of sheet! HAHA! Now if my bed was visible from all sides, I would just have to do what you do. Ugg. How annoying. Happy Tuesday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those fabrics in the blocks! They work so well together! And YES to the top sheets being too long. They drive me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your star blocks are lovely. I'm annoyed by bed sheet sizing, too, but for different reasons. We have a California King bed because I'm married to a 6'8" giant and a California King bed is several inches longer, and several inches narrower in width, than a standard King bed. Well, when you buy a set of California King sheets (which are difficult to find in the first place) only the FITTED sheet is sized to fit the longer, narrower California King mattress. The flat sheet that comes in the California King sheet set is the same dimensions as the regular King flat sheet. So not only are my flat sheets hanging down too far on the sides of the bed, but they are not long enough to be tucked in at the bottom of the bed and still come all the way up to the top of the mattress!

    There was an article in Threads magazine some years back about making your own bed sheets, with sources for extra wide linen and other fanciness that seemed ridiculous when it's so easy to walk into Bed Bath & Beyond and buy sheets already made. But man, this is annoying!! I feel like, in order to have the sheets fit MY bed, I need to purchase an additional flat sheet so I can cut it into strips and sew those to the bottom of all of my too-short flat sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's totally awesome that you are sewing for comfort and charity! what a wonderful way to share your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's really great of you to dedicate the whole year to making charity quilts. So many people are going to feel cared about from this work! I've been bothered by the sheets, too, but I'm too focused on quilting work and house remodeling to put time into trimming/hemming a side. I'm intending to find or make a neutral coverlet with no batting to drape over the sheets, and then lay my quilt on top of that. Something that coordinates with the room/quilt and hides the sheets.

    ReplyDelete